The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Meet the Community (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/)
-   -   New from Wisconsin with a rescue (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/new-wisconsin-rescue-108064/)

DiamondRabbit 01-02-2012 08:54 AM

New from Wisconsin with a rescue

Hello, My name is Julie aka DiamondRabbit. Yesterday we picked up a pony from a family that no longer wanted her. I named her Burdy. I will post images of her today. She is a pony, maybe welsh or Hackney? I don't care either way, she is beautiful no matter what breed.

We found out while picking her up that they had plans on killing her this week if we did not take her. The guy kept talking about how sweet horse meat tastes! Plus he told me he was going to skin her and keep her hide. I kept my mouth shut and went as fast as we could loading her in the trailer. He made me sick!!!!

He said she is 3 years old? I have no idea myself. I am sure the farrier will be able to help me out with that.

The previous owner stated she use to pull a cart with a 12 year old girl and they won ribbons doing it. He also said if you tell Burdy to lift her feet she will. She is not one you can just walk up to and put a halter on her, but once you get the lead on her she does fine.

I would love any input as I don't want to make it worse for her. I will continue to read on the forum for any help too.

I plan on taking it very slow with her to build trust. I will say this, yesterday I was the only one she would come to and I was the only one who was able to put the lead rope on her.

Once again, any suggestions or idea's..I am all ears. :)

DiamondRabbit

DiamondRabbit 01-02-2012 10:11 AM

Picture added

1 Attachment(s)
Here is her picture

Taffy Clayton 01-02-2012 10:23 AM

She is darling looking!!

Apple 01-02-2012 12:17 PM

Urgh. That guy makes me sick, I hate people like that! Anyway, she's cute~!<3 And welcome! ^^

DiamondRabbit 01-02-2012 12:27 PM

I cried almost the whole way home thinking about how cruel people really are. It was a 2 1/2 hour trip one way.

She seems so happy right now, she is side by side with 6 mini's. :-)

BarrelracingArabian 01-02-2012 12:53 PM

Good luck :] Shes quite the cutie and Im not against horses being used for meat however that guy would have irked me to the point I woulda given him my two cents lol :]

DiamondRabbit 01-02-2012 04:32 PM

Did I mention I was a vegetarian? lol

Endiku 01-02-2012 05:29 PM

I am almost 100% sure that the man was playing mind games with you, going with the 'save the pretty little pony' act to play your heart-strings and get you to take her, and quickly. I'm even more sure when I hear the stupid remarks he used, such as about the horse meat and keeping her hide. It happens every day with idiots who don't want their horses, and people rarely follow through with these silly threats. Still, she's a nice little horse and might make a good mount with training.

I also doubt what you've been told about her history. She is either around three years old OR was used by a little girl for driving, most likely not both. Horse are rarely started for driving before three years old (don't get me wrong, it does happen. Just not often) and if she was winning ribbons and such, she is almost guarenteed to be over three years old. More like atleast six.

I'm a bit puzzled about her age though, as she appears to have some sort of sway back, but an otherwise young looking build. Perhaps you have more pictures of her?

I would get a vet check on her, to get an estimated age, and go from there. Assume that she knows nothing, just incase she is an unbroke three year old, and be patient! She'll come around.

spookychick13 01-02-2012 05:36 PM

Glad you found her, she is a cutie pie.

DiamondRabbit 01-02-2012 06:22 PM

another picture of her

1 Attachment(s)
The guy never said he was going to eat her until we had already planned on taking her. Trust me, if you saw his house and driveway LINED WITH SKULLS, you would of believed him about eating her!

About her age and all the other stuff he said, does not matter to me.

I was just out there with her and indeed, she does lift her feet when you tell her to. So that was one thing he did the truth about.

I am hoping the weather gets a little warmer soon so I can get better pictures of her. It was a brisk 14 here today.

I agree, glad we found her! :)