The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Not A Plus Sized Rider.. But Looking For Some Help

7K views 40 replies 20 participants last post by  Saddlebag 
#1 ·
OK.. as the title says I'm not a plus size rider, but this is more directed to my best friend, who used to ride a lot when she was younger and smaller.

She really wants to ride and I have more than enough horses for her to ride but her mind is stuck in "I'm too big/heavy" for your horses. And my horses aren't small and stick things.. Their all around 15'2 - 15'3 HH and well built QH's and a Paint. (my one mare is a typical "bulldog" QH and just plows through the trails like nothing!)

I have mounting blocks, a riding arena, saddles that will fit her but she still thinks shes too heavy for my horses.

I've been trying to build her confidence up, I'd love for her to come riding with me.

Anyone have any suggestions ..?

#4 ·
Invite her to this forum and let her see that it is possible!

I too have bulldog type QH's and they can certainly handle a heavier rider. My hubby is 220 lbs of muscle, he rides several of mine with no problems. One of his favorites is our 14.1 cutting bred stud, he weighs around 980 lbs and can still move like a cat with my hubby on board.

I'm not plus size now but have been so I can relate. I never stopped riding but when I was at my heaviest, I didn't feel as 'in charge'. The only way to overcome those feelings is to ride. Start in the arena and take it nice and slow to build her confidence back up. I'm sure like most that have been out of the saddle for awhile and come back to it, she will realize how much she missed it and forget about her worries.

#7 ·
I'm in complete agreement with you! Especially with just getting your friend out playing with the horses. If you're able to convince her to get out and groom, lunge, and just play with them, and horses are truley in her blood, she won't be able to resist not riding for too much longer!!

Reactions: LeaDFW
#8 ·
After riding my entire life, I endured many horse-less years -- mainly due to thinking I too fat to ride (this started when I weighed 130 lbs, BTW). I spent 20 years telling myself I was too heavy to ride -- 20 YEARS of waiting for "someday, when I'm thinner" . . . I finally started riding again this year after a few gentle nudges from my daughter's trainer who repeatedly assured me that 1) I wouldn't make a fool of myself and 2) she most assuredly would never let someone ride who was heavier than the horses could handle. I finally stopped feeling sorry for myself, bit the bullet, and trusted her judgment -- and I'm the happiest I've been in years. My husband says he likes the "new" me (horsey me!) a WHOLE lot better. (I do, too!)

#9 ·
After riding my entire life, I endured many horse-less years -- mainly due to thinking I too fat to ride (this started when I weighed 130 lbs, BTW). I spent 20 years telling myself I was too heavy to ride -- 20 YEARS of waiting for "someday, when I'm thinner" . .
Tell her this, because there are so many of us who can relate.

being big does not mean that you can't live your life, and it is a waste, a huge sad waste if you keep saying that you can't do things because you are to big, get out there and ride lady.

I missed so many years of riding because I thought I was to big, when I lost all of the weight I started riding, and I'm so so angry that I missed out on so much.

So now I've been laid up for a while with a bad knee and I'm heavy again, but I now know that getting back into the saddle will be the best thing for me, lots of little rides to start with then more and more getting me and my horse fitter and fitter.

Evansk's friend, please get up there and ride, if Evansk is happy for you to ride, get up there and ride. Good luck and have fun.

#10 ·
I don't really know how to help, but when I was asked to come for a ride on a friends stock horse (I had also been out of riding for many years and am a much bigger person now that I was then) I immediately said 'Are you sure I'm not too heavy for him?' my friend laughed as said 'Honey, you're an afterthought! Better a bigger person that has an idea of how to ride than a little person flopping around on his back!' .

This made me feel a lot better about getting back into riding.

#11 ·
Eva, as we all mostly accept that the problem of weight carrying does not lie with the horse - rather it lies with the rider. Perhaps your friend is nervous of either getting up on the horse - or how she looks when she's on it.

Now if you could borrow for a couple of days a 16 hand, docile shire, with a shaggy mane and slow purpose full walk, then maybe you could call your friend's bluff.

If I were in your shoes I'd be querying your friend's motivation.

#15 ·
If I were in your shoes I'd be querying your friend's motivation.
Really? I have been in the friends shoes and I get where she is coming from, motivation is easier to come by if you can be convinced that yoy aren't going to damage a living being.

Not the same, but an insight into the working of a fat womans mind:

Last week DH and DS dusted off the wii fit and decided that we were going to all get back on the fitness trail. I refused to get on it.

a) My commitment to getting back to health and fitness started today, not last week.

b) Most important I know that the balance board with the wii has a weight limit, and I was convinced that I was going to get on and it was going to scream "GET OFF GET OFF, YOU ARE BREAKING ME"

This morning I eventually got brave and confronted those damn scales that have been collecting dust in the bathroom, :shock: Well guess what, I'm actually 20 pounds lighter than I thought and well within the capabilities of the wii, and when it comes to it, to riding my new horse, I don't think he's going to break after all.

The fat womans internal dialogue is a very complicated thing.

#12 ·
Hell, show her pictures of me riding and tell her if my fat butt is up on a horse, her's should be too!!! Hahaha.

I think bringing her to this forum, specifically this section and thread, would be a great way to show her that she CAN! It's also great excersize and good for confidence to be up on a horses back.

My sister weighs like 130 lbs, I weigh nearly twice that. I let her ride my mare one day and she commented on how Daisy probably felt as if no one was riding her. Laughing I told her that she'd probably prefer me up there because I wouldn't be flopping all around!

#13 ·
Well, I've been trying to get her on the forum, I think talking to riders who have dealt with the same problems, she's thinking about it.. We don't have Shires and big horses like that here where I am. Most of the horses here are Yukon- Mutt mixed breed horses..smaller, stocky and hardy for hunting and packing.

#14 ·
...... Most of the horses here are Yukon- Mutt mixed breed horses..smaller, stocky and hardy for ..... packing.

Remind her that the smallest thing thing with antlers that you would pack out up there in the Yukon probably weighs twice if not three times what she does and the horses handle it fine. Not only that, but it's much easier to carry living weight than 'dead' weight.

#23 ·
I'm so glad that she is going to join and read, there are lots of pics that us big girls have shared of ourselves riding, I hope they reassure her that she can give it a go.

Just to add some thoughts, and maybe some of the others will back me up here...

As a big person you just know that when you put your foot in the stirrup you will either

A) make the horse fall over

B) Pull the saddle right round under the horses stomach.

While A is unlikely, B remains a possibility, especially if you like me ride horses that weren't blessed with withers:lol:

To assist with the mounting it is beneficial to both horse and rider to have a good solid block to mount from, no not an upturned bucket, but something stable that we know will give us a firm platform.

You should ask her if she is more comfortable having one or two people around the first time she mounts, I had my son holding the horse, and hubby holding the off stirrup and being ready to support me.

If she used to ride at a lighter weight she needs to be prepared for the fact it will feel different, there is a moment when you feel that this is a scary and foreign place to be, but then everything kind of falls into place again.

I was going to say that any of the plus sized crowd would be only to happy to chat by pm if she doesn't feel comfortable sharing on the main board, but I think you have to have a minimum number of posts before the pm thing will work.

#26 ·
I'm so glad that she is going to join and read, there are lots of pics that us big girls have shared of ourselves riding, I hope they reassure her that she can give it a go.
I for one will help anyway possible!
Just to add some thoughts, and maybe some of the others will back me up here...

As a big person you just know that when you put your foot in the stirrup you will either

A) make the horse fall over
It sure does feel that way sometimes, especially on a horse you're not used to!

B) Pull the saddle right round under the horses stomach.

While A is unlikely, B remains a possibility, especially if you like me ride horses that weren't blessed with withers:lol:
Or forget to tighten the cinch after getting off to retreive the cap that flew off while running through the field! Then end up fallin right on your ars because of it.....nope never happened to me :D lol
On a side note...reading everyone's posts' I think it is great how everyone pulls together here to help one another. Its crazy stupid how in alot of barns there are the cliqs (sp) and those needing the help never get it because of those who are too good to assist others.

#24 ·
And remind her that there is no shame in taking it nice and slow, LOL. The first time I got back on a horse, I literally walked in a circle for 30 minutes -- probably did that the first three times! It takes a bit of time to readjust to riding again, especially if you used to ride at a different weight.

I'm betting that once she tries it again, she won't want to stop!

#27 ·
Honey, if I can do it, your friend can. I am probably by far the heaviest rider on this forum - seriously. I'm down a bit from where I was, but at one point I weighed 305. My mare isn't especially tanky - she's actually rather fine legged. But - she has a short back and very deep loin and when I finally listened to others - specifically a professional trainer - that told me she could carry me, I tried riding her the first time last March.

She didn't appreciate it - she hadn't been ridden in several years and was still a bit under weight and under muscled - but she had no real problem. That first ride was very short - only about 15 minutes, and was only at a walk. The first 3 - 4 minutes, I felt very wobbly, and it showed in the video my daughter shot. (It didn't help that the saddle I used came nowhere near fitting me!) After that, I found my balance, and Dancer's attitude changed. It was wonderful!

We went on a trail ride in June - Dancer had no trouble carrying my fat backside and kept pace with the hyper Paso Finos that were leading our group. I would have preferred a slower pace, but Dancer dropped into a lovely (and suprising) shuffling gait and just kept on trucking.

I pushed us both just a little too far that day. Dancer showed no ill effects, but I was another story. But, I'm ready to do it again!

Reactions: DixieDarlin
#31 ·
So yes i have decided to try riding again in the spring. And its not that i always feel that i am too big that i can't ride. I'm not a giant fan of the "smaller" horse breeds. I like the bigger draft and draft crosses. I always have even when i was younger and smaller. Evansk has a fabulous horse for me to ride, so i know it will be fine, but i'm still nervous. I head south to the big city for other reasons this week but i am going to check out some tack shops for saddles. Evansk is not the only friend that wants to go riding with me, but she is the only person i will be riding with until i'm 100% confidant again.

#34 ·
I am a plus sized rider.. and I had always wanted to learn how to ride.. and I always thought I was too big as well.. I used to weigh well over 300 pounds.. well I looked around long enough that I found someone that said that the weight was just a number and they could convince me otherwise if I wanted to ride.. so I took her up on it.. and after a couple of rides I didnt worry so much as her average horses did fine with me.. now that I have lost a lot of weight.. still plus sized but well under 300 now.. I ride a horse in lessons that is technically a pony.. and he does awesome with me.. he is a tank of a horse.. missed horse by a couple of inches, but I call him a horse anyways.. so I never thought being plus sized I could ever ride a pony either

#35 ·
So its been awhile since i was on here but... This spring i started riding again. I did ride Evansk one quarter horse bareback but just for a short jaunt in the corrals. I have another friend who had access to old pack horses and have been riding with her. I still don't feel quite comfortable on Evansk horse Buddy, but am working towards it.

#36 ·
maybe she just doesnt want to, or some people just like to constantly be begged to do something so always have an excuse or reason they cant go. I used to get caught up trying to get people to come to pistol matches, or go Bass fishing, seems people never run out of excuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.