The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Plus Sized Riders (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/)
-   -   Not A Plus Sized Rider.. But Looking For Some Help (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/not-plus-sized-rider-but-looking-108067/)

Evansk 01-02-2012 09:25 AM

Not A Plus Sized Rider.. But Looking For Some Help

OK.. as the title says I'm not a plus size rider, but this is more directed to my best friend, who used to ride a lot when she was younger and smaller.

She really wants to ride and I have more than enough horses for her to ride but her mind is stuck in "I'm too big/heavy" for your horses. And my horses aren't small and stick things.. Their all around 15'2 - 15'3 HH and well built QH's and a Paint. (my one mare is a typical "bulldog" QH and just plows through the trails like nothing!)

I have mounting blocks, a riding arena, saddles that will fit her but she still thinks shes too heavy for my horses.

I've been trying to build her confidence up, I'd love for her to come riding with me.

Anyone have any suggestions ..?

Ray MacDonald 01-02-2012 09:33 AM

I don't have much of a sugestion.. But I do hope you can convince her to ride again! Tell her how much fun it is and that you would really like her to come ride with you :)

Evansk 01-02-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald (Post 1289635)
I don't have much of a sugestion.. But I do hope you can convince her to ride again! Tell her how much fun it is and that you would really like her to come ride with you :)

O believe me I do! Every chance I get :) but shes stuck in that mind set of thinking shes too heavy and wont ride :(

MHFoundation Quarters 01-02-2012 09:36 AM

Invite her to this forum and let her see that it is possible!

I too have bulldog type QH's and they can certainly handle a heavier rider. My hubby is 220 lbs of muscle, he rides several of mine with no problems. One of his favorites is our 14.1 cutting bred stud, he weighs around 980 lbs and can still move like a cat with my hubby on board.

I'm not plus size now but have been so I can relate. I never stopped riding but when I was at my heaviest, I didn't feel as 'in charge'. The only way to overcome those feelings is to ride. Start in the arena and take it nice and slow to build her confidence back up. I'm sure like most that have been out of the saddle for awhile and come back to it, she will realize how much she missed it and forget about her worries.

LetAGrlShowU 01-02-2012 09:37 AM

Why dont you show her some of the threads on this part of the forum? Show her that there are a lot of riders who share her concerns but still get to enjoy riding! Maybe get her to just hang out with you and the horses- ie: grooming, playing, training- she may enjoy it enough to give it a go.

Country Woman 01-03-2012 12:12 AM

yea show her this forum

your Quarter Horses can carry your friend

draftgrl 01-04-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetAGrlShowU (Post 1289642)
Why dont you show her some of the threads on this part of the forum? Show her that there are a lot of riders who share her concerns but still get to enjoy riding! Maybe get her to just hang out with you and the horses- ie: grooming, playing, training- she may enjoy it enough to give it a go.

I'm in complete agreement with you! Especially with just getting your friend out playing with the horses. If you're able to convince her to get out and groom, lunge, and just play with them, and horses are truley in her blood, she won't be able to resist not riding for too much longer!!

LeaDFW 01-07-2012 11:39 PM

After riding my entire life, I endured many horse-less years -- mainly due to thinking I too fat to ride (this started when I weighed 130 lbs, BTW). I spent 20 years telling myself I was too heavy to ride -- 20 YEARS of waiting for "someday, when I'm thinner" . . . I finally started riding again this year after a few gentle nudges from my daughter's trainer who repeatedly assured me that 1) I wouldn't make a fool of myself and 2) she most assuredly would never let someone ride who was heavier than the horses could handle. I finally stopped feeling sorry for myself, bit the bullet, and trusted her judgment -- and I'm the happiest I've been in years. My husband says he likes the "new" me (horsey me!) a WHOLE lot better. (I do, too!)

Golden Horse 01-07-2012 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeaDFW (Post 1298602)
After riding my entire life, I endured many horse-less years -- mainly due to thinking I too fat to ride (this started when I weighed 130 lbs, BTW). I spent 20 years telling myself I was too heavy to ride -- 20 YEARS of waiting for "someday, when I'm thinner" . .

Tell her this, because there are so many of us who can relate.

being big does not mean that you can't live your life, and it is a waste, a huge sad waste if you keep saying that you can't do things because you are to big, get out there and ride lady.

I missed so many years of riding because I thought I was to big, when I lost all of the weight I started riding, and I'm so so angry that I missed out on so much.

So now I've been laid up for a while with a bad knee and I'm heavy again, but I now know that getting back into the saddle will be the best thing for me, lots of little rides to start with then more and more getting me and my horse fitter and fitter.

Evansk's friend, please get up there and ride, if Evansk is happy for you to ride, get up there and ride. Good luck and have fun.

Shiavo 01-09-2012 04:45 AM

I don't really know how to help, but when I was asked to come for a ride on a friends stock horse (I had also been out of riding for many years and am a much bigger person now that I was then) I immediately said 'Are you sure I'm not too heavy for him?' my friend laughed as said 'Honey, you're an afterthought! Better a bigger person that has an idea of how to ride than a little person flopping around on his back!' .

This made me feel a lot better about getting back into riding.