The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   two mares that will never get along.. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/two-mares-will-never-get-along-108088/)

allisonjoy 01-02-2012 01:18 PM

two mares that will never get along..

okay so my 20 yr old quarab mare Katy is the most female aggressive, dominant mare i have ever met. she has no problems whatsoever with geldings or even our donkeys. but ever since i added my new addition, a 4yo paint mare Gypsy, into the equation the life of the younger mare is from what i see, not so pleasant. Gypsy (younger) has to be fed inside the barn to ensure that she can eat. Katy will not let her drink from the water trough or eat if she is doing so or even in that general area. she will not let Gypsy near the other horses and has made it clear that in my presence my younger mare is to stay far clear from me while Katy is craving attention. now when i am down there, i do my absolute best to keep gypsy safe and make sure she has ate enough and all the nessecities. they know that when i am down there i will not tolerate it. i keep a crop near by and have kicked out at Katy to somewhat protect my youngest. whether or not the herd protects certain members from other members in the wild i have no idea. but i do, because its generally hard to watch this mare be pummeled. she won't even come close to the oldest mare but she will still charge and lunge out at her. gypsy is COVERED in scars all over her rump. Gypsy always flees away from her but Katy still charges her and gives her big bites on her hind and side. Gypsy is absolutley terrified of her, when i go to lead her out of the pasture and she has to pass by katy she is all fluttery and slighty shaking. this horse is very submissive and Katy is very female aggressive.

right now there is a snow storm, and even though our turn in barn ( half the barn is sectioned off and sawdust with a half door for them to escape the elements) and katy makes gypsy stay outside. the area within the barn is quite large and accommodates the 3 horses and 2 donkeys we have. but yet my younger mare is forced to stay outside... its really quite terrible because i've seen it sleeting and my mare shivering from wet chills. this is not a good situation for the younger mare, but i have had my older mare for a long time. each summer i send her off the local ymca riding stables to be used as a youth mount. so Gypsy has that season to just relax and NOT get beat up.

i am not willing to get rid of my new mare, and i would gladly appreciate any advice on how i am supposed to make my life better for my youngest. we are creating stalls next year eventhough this set up is ideal. but that's the only solution i can come up with.

please help, i am at my wits end watching this poor little mare be traumatized.

BarrelracingArabian 01-02-2012 01:23 PM

can you put gypsy in a stall in the barn?

allisonjoy 01-02-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarrelracingArabian (Post 1289842)
can you put gypsy in a stall in the barn?

we are currently in the process of building one for her. i don't really want to resort to that, but that's all i can do.

iridehorses 01-02-2012 01:38 PM

I've come across this a number of times and have never found an adequate solution that didn't involve separating the horses.

BarrelracingArabian 01-02-2012 07:21 PM

If she is only in there when its raining and really cold I don't think it would be a problem. In fact I think she would be completely fine with being away from the 'evil' mare heh :] I had an older mustang gelding who hated other geldings so we had to keep him seperated but the second we stuck a mare with him she whooped his butt one good time nd he was her puppy lol

Winter Solstice 01-02-2012 07:32 PM

If you have a large enough pasture and the money to accomodate this, try separating the pasture with a hot fence. I'm not sure what kind, but my friend did this before when she was in a similar situation and the horses were kept from hurting one another while still getting to "greet" each other over it.

That way if your older mare started to lash out, the younger mare could escape easily. My friend said that after a couple of months her aggressive mare tolerated the other mare and were able to be reunited once more. It may or may not work, but it's a suggestion.

I know that this must be frustrating. I hope it all works out well for you in the end. (:

allisonjoy 01-02-2012 07:45 PM

i put a thick blanket on her tonight. its about 19 degrees out and there's a snowstorm later this evening. so i think she'll be okay now. thanks guys for the advice (: