The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Boarding @ Home on 1/2 acre? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/boarding-%40-home-1-2-acre-108096/)

Chumbawumba 01-02-2012 02:23 PM

Boarding @ Home on 1/2 acre?

Hello.
We are seriously considering buying a home any time soon and I keep bouncing back n forth on 1/2 acre versus 1+ acres, due to the price of course. sometimes I see a house that would be perfect but it only has 1/2 acre, the houses we are looking at have trails neighboring them so that is a plus, my concern is if the land is only 1/2 acre will we smell the manure every day when we open our windows?
Some folks I know who don't have horses say you need at least 1.5 acres to avoid the smell.
Although the smell does not bother me that much when I am in the horse environment, I don't necessarily want to smell it every day when I open my windows.
Please bear in mind there will be 2 horses and they will be fed hay throughout the day along with 2-3feeds a day, it's not an issue about them getting enough food it's more about them being far enough away from the house to avoid smell inside.
Here in California the zoning department recommend 20,000sq ft=1/2 acre for 6 horses, we will only have 2 though.
If you can advise me on this matter it would be greatly appreciated
Happy New Year
Best wishes

RitzieAnn 01-02-2012 03:43 PM

I've never kept horses in such a small area (and I now live in Wet NW WA), but the fact that you're in CA makes a difference. Which part? The dry weather will really help dry up the manure. It would be easier to compost (because it will cook faster) and if you have something to rake it out with, it will dry/crumble & barely be a problem. I think your best bet is to compost it. Try posting on Craigslist & asking what other horse owners do there :)

GhostwindAppaloosa 01-02-2012 03:55 PM

We lived on a 1/2 acre with two horses for a bit in Utah. They had a run in and a fenced in 100x50 area. We had to remove the manure weekly and it was a very dry area. You can try a compost pile but manure for two horses WILL build up significantly. Luckily ours dried out quickly and we just bagged it and put it in the trash. which you are not supposed to do :) lol. I'd suggest doing a compost on the back of the property and reusing/selling the manure for gardens or neighbors etc.

MyBoyPuck 01-02-2012 09:59 PM

I personally cannot imagine keeping a horse on 1/2 acre, but I would think the top priority in this case is to make sure you won't have neighbors who will give you constant headaches. When you do locate a property, knock on some doors or leave a note to see if they have any issues with someone moving in with horses. At least in this market, if you get in now, 5 years down the road you might have a nice chunk of equity built up and can move to a larger place.

Cacowgirl 01-02-2012 10:51 PM

On my 1/2 acre here in So. CA I can legally have 3 horses-go over the river to Norco & you can have 6 (& 13 per acre). It changes by Zip Code. The Law says manure must be picked up daily.. Most people aren't aware of the law-I kept a horse on base so I'm well aware of the laws. I pick mine up often, it goes in the dumpster & it's gone. The dumpster costs $80 a month, Norco just got some new laws for manure management, not sure what they are, but it's$$$$, & there may be fines involved. So check out the neighborhood,but most people aren't aware of what the laws are. For instance, there is one that a horse corral has to be 25' away from a house, so be careful!

Chumbawumba 01-02-2012 11:41 PM

Home Boarding on 1/2 acre

Thank you so much for all your feedback, very much appreciated.

RitzieAnn: I am in San Diego county so we don't get too much rain at all compared to other states.

MyBoyPuck: Yes neighbours definitely a concern, we would hopefully be buying in an area where others have horses or previously zoned for horses and would definitely want to be conscious about the neighbours, so good idea.

GWA: Not sure I want to deal with the composte pile. But good to know you managed on 1/2 acre. Did you live close by and if so could you smell the manure when you opened your windows?

Cacowgirl:Yes that is what I had in mind exactly, I did hear the bin man takes the manure or waste management. I plan to turn the horses out in the (am) muck out and then close the stables off till bed time :) They would have a corral for shelter if it gets too hot. Then we would pick up in the paddock/pasture/field, hardly a pasture or field here no grass to be seen :) anywhere daily, if this was managed as stated would you smell the manure when you open the window in the house.
Where in Socal are you?
I am thinking West Riverside?

GhostwindAppaloosa 01-03-2012 08:11 AM

yes our home was on the 1/2 acre. when it was wet... rainy.. snow melting etc. You can smell the manure. when it was dry it wasnt too bad. and that was when we were picking it up weekly.

GhostwindAppaloosa 01-03-2012 08:11 AM

Id imagine it was probably more the urine smell than anything.

Oh and utah law stated on 1/2 acre you could have 12.5 horses :) i dont know where you would put them.. but you could have them!

Cacowgirl 01-03-2012 12:42 PM

Yes, Riverside area,near the 15/60 junction. Norco is known as the Horse Capital of the World-that is their slogan-they are very horse oriented, but just across the river, is also quite "horsey", & a lot less expensive. W/daily pick-up-not much odor, as the bin can be closed & there are ways to keep the flies down. I put in central heat & air w/the last re-model, & moved the windows around so they aren't in a path from the corrals, also a (night-time) fresh air fan, that vents from the other side of the house-all that made a world of difference. Do you need horse property? I'm in escrow, but don't know how solid it is. I'm ready to get to AZ!

Chumbawumba 01-03-2012 02:33 PM

Home Boarding on 1/2 acre

GWA: 12 horses wow that's a little crazy, yes I couldn't imagine that at all.
Thank you for the feedback it helped a a lot.

Cacowgirl:I have heard of Norcco but not yet ventured up there, it sounds like a cool little town, I heard they have hitching post outside of each shop :) like in the cowboy films awseome.
Wow sounds like you got busy remodeling the house for your horsie lifestyle awesome, it's soooo expensive down here not sure we'll be able to do the same.
The night time fresh air device sounds like a plan though.
Did you make your own bins or did you get them supplied from waste management?
I am very interested to know what technique you used for controlling the flies, if you would like to share?
Yes we are on the look out daily for horse property but so far haven't found anything we're thrilled with.
What made you decide on AZ?
Good Luck with your next purchase I hope you sail through escrow and everything works out as you have planned it.