The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Curious about proffesional horse haulers... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/curious-about-proffesional-horse-haulers-108115/)

annaleah 01-02-2012 04:20 PM

Curious about proffesional horse haulers...

I was just looking at my list of expenses for when I go to buy my horse, and since my lovely hubby is willing to pay for the price of the horse, I decided it was only fair that i take care of all the other expenses. And I realized I forgot to include horse transport, in case I find a horse that's too far for me to go and pick up. And what I was wondering....is there anybody on here that would possibly know the average cost to haul a horse from California to southern Illinois? I tried going on some professional hauler websites, but you have to literally put in an order for them to give you a quote and all I really need is an estimate amount to plan into my budget for next year. If anyone can help, I'd be greatly appreciative....thanks all!

Saskia 01-02-2012 04:40 PM

I don't know about American things but I know in Australia prices really vary between companies so shop around. Like for about 600km I was quoted from $300 to well over $1000.
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 01-02-2012 05:16 PM

with prices of horses low and fuel high these days, youd come out way ahead just buying local.

SmallTownGypsy 01-02-2012 05:25 PM

I'm not for sure since the horse we're having brought from CA to TN had her shipping included (yeah, we got a great deal on that), but to have Pony Boy brought from New York to TN we were quoted from $575-$675.

annaleah 01-02-2012 08:07 PM

Wow! Im hoping i can find one local then. Or atleast in the midwest region. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 01-02-2012 08:15 PM

Try to find a horse locally but don't limit yourself to only that. An extra $500-$600 is money well spent. In fact, I would rather be horseless, than not get the horse I really want.

csimkunas6 01-02-2012 08:22 PM

Good Luck! Ive had quite a few crazy quotes, a a couple, if that of good quotes. First quote I got just from Cincinnati Oh, to where to boarder of WV, I was quoted $650!!! For only a 2 hr drive!

But then when I transported him from WV/OH boarder to NC/SC boarder, I was quoted an awesome price of only $450!!!!!! Needless to say, that transporter is now out of business due to personal issues. In the long run, from what I experienced, it depends on if they are travelling along that route, if they are, you will get an awesome deal, if not....your gonna pay!

Good Luck :D

bubba13 01-02-2012 08:24 PM

Cost $1800 to haul from Missouri to California on a really nice rig. I heard $500 each to haul from Missouri to either Texas or New Mexico, but they were really unprofessional "professional" haulers--trailers weren't as nice, handlers were abusive, etc.

Cat 01-02-2012 08:32 PM

It may also depend on if you can get on a trip that is already booked and they just have one spot to fill because the majority of the gas will already be paid for by the first horses on the trip.

Cat 01-02-2012 08:34 PM

Oh yes - and see if you can get referenced. I really was not pleased with the transporters that were booked to pick Willie up. They unloaded one horse to get him on since that other horse would be getting off on the next stop. That horse got loose from them!