The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Taking it Slow (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/taking-slow-10813/)

Small_Town_Girl 06-30-2008 01:11 PM

Taking it Slow

So the new horse I have now hasn't rode in around 2 years or so,
and I'm wanting to start her riding again. I got on her back and was
led around a bit and reined her some of my own before getting her.
She had no problems what so ever, I just need to get a good bond
with her.

I was just looking for tips and suggestions to get her going nice and
easy again, but taking it slow. Should I just be led around? Should I
try normally riding her in a round pen? :roll:

Tips? Suggestions?

megansthehorse 06-30-2008 01:31 PM

i think you should maybe try her in a round pen if you feel confident enough, you could also try her on lunge with her tack on but make sure everything that is dangly is fastened up so it doesnt distract the horse, then you could have a look and see how the horse reacts in all paces on the lunge and then if she is good and then she should be even better with a rider on her back.

good luck and hugs to you and your new horse
xox

Jubilee Rose 06-30-2008 02:37 PM

Congrats on your new horsey!

I would start off with lunging her first. Its safe, relatively easy and controlled. This will get her working without you having to hop on her. Feel her out, see how she reacts on the lunge and to your voice commands. Do lots of groundwork with her, and spend time just getting to know her. Sit in her paddock and let her curiously come over to you. Have a treat waiting, brush her, etc. These are some of the best ways to start forming a bond. Even though she's been off for 2 years, horses don't forget. She probably knows what she's doing, so have a little trust in her. As I said, take things slow and gentle, praising her when she's good and being firm when she starts acting up. That's all I can really suggest.

Good luck!

My2Geldings 07-01-2008 01:36 PM

First off congrats on the new horse :)

All it comes down to is to spend time with her. What you do isn't really important at this stage, is more of spending enjoyable quality time with her. Show her things around your property or the barn you are boarding at. Challenge her a little bit and test her, see if showing her new things is something you can do. All during that time take her out and show her things are ok :) build her trust.

So yes the pen is fine, taking her for walks, brush her, works with her on the ground.

Small_Town_Girl 07-01-2008 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My2Geldings
First off congrats on the new horse :)

All it comes down to is to spend time with her. What you do isn't really important at this stage, is more of spending enjoyable quality time with her. Show her things around your property or the barn you are boarding at. Challenge her a little bit and test her, see if showing her new things is something you can do. All during that time take her out and show her things are ok :) build her trust.

So yes the pen is fine, taking her for walks, brush her, works with her on the ground.

Aww, that's great advice, we did that yesterday and she seemed
to really like walking around with us and seeing new things!

nourozi 07-01-2008 08:03 PM

Exciting

Congrats on the new horse! Its always exciting getting a new horse. Just getting to know her by doing some groundwork, bonding time should be a great start. This is quite a curious time for the horse so just be gentle and you will gain trust.