The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   staying warm?! :( (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/staying-warm-108146/)

princecharming 01-02-2012 07:36 PM

staying warm?! :(

sorry for all the posts, i just LOVE hearing what you guys have to say!:D
anyway, down to my question. its been getting colder and REALLY windy. i was wondering what everyone wears to stay warm. I'm currently going with winter breeches with tights under, wool socks with toe warmers and a fleece with a jacket. **what warm, windproof jackets do you suggest, mine is super bulky and not comfy to ride in, does anyone have a jacket they LOVE and recommend?

on a happy note: i know I'm working when its below freezing outside and halfway through my ride I'm in just a tee-shirt(I'm a huge fan of layering)

so..suggestions?

thanks in advance!

OuttatheBlue 01-02-2012 07:40 PM

I got winter english Ariat boots a couple years ago and they are my favorite! I wear them every winter, they hold up really well and they keep my toes toasty warm.

I also layer like crazy too, haha. Can NEVER have too many layers! Hats are really good to have as well.

Subbing for jackets though, mine are bulky too and it drives me crazy haha.

MHFoundation Quarters 01-02-2012 07:41 PM

I wear under armour leggings with breeches or jeans, warm gloves, battery socks (borrowed from my hubby's hunting stash:-)) and under armour top with a lighter weight North Face insulated jacket -I'll have to see if I can find the style & get back to you, I know I bought it from Cabela's. I stay plenty warm riding and usually end up losing the jacket, especially if I'm in the indoor.

princecharming 01-02-2012 07:41 PM

ahh, im drooling over the dover catalog's section of winter boots :) those are definitely on my wish list of things to get...

princecharming 01-02-2012 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MHFoundation Quarters (Post 1290410)
I wear under armour leggings with breeches or jeans, warm gloves, battery socks (borrowed from my hubby's hunting stash:-)) and under armour top with a lighter weight North Face insulated jacket -I'll have to see if I can find the style & get back to you, I know I bought it from Cabela's. I stay plenty warm riding and usually end up losing the jacket, especially if I'm in the indoor.

battery socks...?

MHFoundation Quarters 01-02-2012 07:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the jacket

Cabela's: The North FaceŽ Women's Josie Jacket

Yep, battery socks! They look like this
Attachment 83176

OuttatheBlue 01-02-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MHFoundation Quarters (Post 1290416)
This is the jacket

Cabela's: The North FaceŽ Women's Josie Jacket

Yep, battery socks! They look like this
Attachment 83176

I've never heard of those before, those look AWESOME!

waresbear 01-02-2012 07:48 PM

Sounds like what you are wearing will work good. When I ride, work up a bit of a sweat myself so no need to over dress. But if I was outside in a tractor or snowmobile, I would certainly get a pair of those battery operated socks!

MHFoundation Quarters 01-02-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1290425)
But if I was outside in a tractor or snowmobile, I would certainly get a pair of those battery operated socks!

They're awesome! I don't like to ride in winter boots (ride too many greenies to take a chance with thick soles) and they are great with my regular boots. Also good for sledding and outside work!

princecharming 01-02-2012 08:13 PM

where do you put the pouch with the battery in it? ..i dont think it will fit in my boot...

thanks for all the ideas, MHFoundation: how cold is it where you are? trying to put it into perspective(: