The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Mule baby-to-be question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/mule-baby-question-108163/)

InStyle 01-02-2012 08:59 PM

Mule baby-to-be question

Hello

In November I was given an Arab (18yrs old) Tess, very pretty girl, I will post pics of her asap. We were told that she may have been bred by a donkey but would have been due in sept. The previous owners had her checked ( I talked to their vet) and was told she was open.

We noticed the last few days she has looked large, with a belly, and the belly switches sides. SO contacted old owner, and they changed their story, and now the story was she was exposed to a donkey during last winter/spring. SO off to the vet wednesday to see. So this isn't a thread asking is my horse pregnant lol, but is there anything I need to know about mule babies ???? How do they differ from foals etc etc?
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 01-02-2012 09:03 PM

I know you're not supposed to laugh at their big ears in front of the mares.

InStyle 01-02-2012 09:19 PM

Oh crap! I was looking forward to seeing mulie for the first time and laughing :( thanks a lot for ruining ALL my fun waresbear!
Posted via Mobile Device

Kansas Spice Girl 01-02-2012 09:30 PM

That is AWESOME haha this may sound funny but does the mare have a big factor in the appearance of the mule baby? lol like will it be a refined mule because your mare is an Arabian? lmao

InStyle 01-02-2012 09:37 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have NO idea what it will look like! Could be pretty funny!

When I got Tess she didn't have much in the way of muscling, so we starting slowly building that up. She hasnt been ridden in 5+yrs, and then it was break her, then she went back to being a pasture pet. So we have been re-introducing everything, started ground driving her, and round pen work.

OH and when we got her, she had no belly, was an undermuscled, but in decent shape girl, the vet was here last week to check out the new foster mare who is pregnant, and Tess was declared open so I didn't have him recheck.. SIGH.... oh well, taking her in with the pups to know for sure, but I cant see her suddenly getting a belly.

waresbear 01-02-2012 09:43 PM

I am no vet, but if there was money & betting involved, I would put down a few grand on her being preggers.

farmpony84 01-02-2012 09:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I traded a pony for a TWH that was pregnant w/ a mule. The people I made the trade with only wanted the baby so the day the baby was born they came and took mom and baby from me and kept them until baby was weened.

I think Mama and baby looked alike:

InStyle 01-02-2012 09:53 PM

@ waresbear, ya, I said the same thing! And the bump moves positions! She looks more preggers then the mare who is confirmed preggers due end Jan!!

@farmpony84, other then the ears, very similar!!! any idea what the mule looks like now?

Bonus, a good friend is looking for a mule, so the baby will have a fantastic home once weaned!

farmpony84 01-02-2012 09:57 PM

I think I do have some "grown-up" pix of the mule now. They just started him under saddle. They named him Rascal. I'll try to dig up his "big boy pix"

InStyle 01-02-2012 09:58 PM

Cant wait to see them!!!