The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  shanoona 
#1 ·
I have a pony mare which has a terrible fly rack (is that spelled right i hope? :D)

Well, last/last year she just rubbed out all her mane and the top of the tail. She thought OK, we buy some repellent next year and it will be OK.

This spring she started to rub earlier and she rubbed out all her mane, the top of the tail, she had scab all over her belly, whithers, ears, teat, between hind legs, etc... I bought an the veiling-like rug blanket covering also her neck, and the fly mask....

And I started to grease it to her as often as possible- with vaseline, canabis cream, sunflower oil, marigold cream, atc... she was better, but i can't be with her all the time, and her owner is afraid of her so she doesn't care for her... But i put also the elastic belt for blankets over it, because she had it quite long-and so i covered also her belly.
So she rubbed it all the time, even with the blanket, and she ripped it apart (like completely, i've already repaired it few times, but this was rubbed all apart, in several pieces). But it was October, i refused to buy her a new one immediately/and i didnt have the money. She mainly rubbed her ears "only" by then, she damaged 3 fly masks/she tore ear parts apart, her ears were all bloody... :(

there is a very well known fly spray here in cyech rep/ called Farnam Endure - it should last even 2 weeks, and not sweat nor rain should take it off. I am thinking of buying it. Additinaly the "sack" blanket/ that covers all her body- do you have any tips? I need a very adamant one/ she likes to lay on the ground, roll over and over and rub herself with the branches of some trees. Additionally, I would like to have her stabled 24/7, so some that dries quickly and can be worn 24/7... I can now invest into a good one, just tell me into which one. And I will repair the old one to place it on her while the good one is drying etc....

Additionally, I heard that garlic pills are great, that the horse "stinks" to flies etc... Any experience?

My little girl looks like I had been abusing her... She didn't ride for almost 2 months, or only for a walk without a saddle... She dropped muscles and her fur was terrible :( Poor poor pony, everyone told me... We were at a "hunt" (traditional event-closing the riding season) and half the people there wanted to kill me with their eyes :(

See less See more
#2 ·
You may want to try some type of antihistamine as it seems your pony is highly allergic to bugs. One of my horses has to be on them during bug season. I've done allergy testing (she's allergic to gnats), allergy shots, fly sheets, masks, leg protectors, sprays, washes, keeping her in with fans etc. The best thing for her are the antihistamines to calm down her over reactive immune system.
I hope you find something to help your pony.

#3 ·
Some horses are allergic to fly bites & will damage themselves w/all the rubbing. There are shots available form the vet that might help. There are "Spot-On" fly repellents that last awhile-I've used those,they help. & you will need lots of fly spray, & the roll-on for around their face works pretty good. It's hard to see your horse so miserable,but keep fighting-I've heard of the garlic supplements also,might be worth a try. Hope you find something that helps.

#4 ·
only for comparison..... this is when i was with her on a holiday for a week. Itreated her several times a day, moisturing the bad places, schampooing the mane, moisturing it again,.... one week of this care....

but her owner doesn't take that care of her and i have no time to go to her everyday....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.