The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Parelli, Your Thoughts? (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/parelli-your-thoughts-108213/)

savvygirl559 01-03-2012 11:46 AM

Parelli, Your Thoughts?

I ride Parelli and my horse and I have an amazing bond, she does what I want her to do and wants to do it as well! I have benefitted so much from it but I know there are loads of people out there who don't like or agree with it and just wanted to know your thoughts of it :-o

Golden Horse 01-03-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savvygirl559 (Post 1291512)
I ride Parelli

:lol: There is a comment you don't hear so often, it's more usual it seems to be ground based Parelli followers.

I think there is a little bit of good stuff in there, hidden by a lot of hype, slick marketing, expensive merchandise and some down right dangerous concepts.

7HL 01-03-2012 11:53 AM

We use Parelli with all three of our horse, have so for some time. All I can say, when it comes to discussion forums, best to lead by your actions and what you have going on with your horse.

Skyseternalangel 01-03-2012 11:57 AM

I've seen some parelli trainers work on horses and then try it on my horse. It was too much for my guy. Even the wriggling the rope to back up.. it scared him more than taught him. My horse is very easy to communicate to--much like myself. If you want back, you tell him and your body shows him and he'll do it. If you want over, you tell him, and your body shows him. But.. doing something without showing him what you want, and he starts getting frustrated and confused and sometimes even sad that he can't figure it out-- and then he becomes dangerous.

So I prefer to stick with what I know, and what my common sense creates for us.. rather than do something that my horse just doesn't snap into.

I'm sure it's great and all, but not for us.

savvygirl559 01-03-2012 12:06 PM

I would never change what I do for what anyone says about it, becaus eit works for me, I understand it doesn't for everyone. My horse used to get scared when I wiggled the rope to! She nearly dislocated my arm! And there definately is to much marketing! At first it was all about 'Making a better world for horses and humans' but now theres just too much! I bought the starter kit for 15 which contained a halter, rope, savvy string and carrot stick and I have my horse at a completely Parelli yard so I was taught properly as the owner is a Parelli Professional. I personally don't think you should use Parelli if you haven't been taught by an actual human being as the videos just tell you what to do, and don't help in anyway if you can't do it or are doing it wrong! If you don't use Parelli properly, I completely agree, it can be dangerous!

savvygirl559 01-03-2012 12:11 PM

[QUOTE=Golden Horse;1291528]:lol: There is a comment you don't hear so often, it's more usual it seems to be ground based Parelli followers.

If I can, I spend half of my time on the ground (to see if she is okay to ride) and half ridden to keep it all even :-o In Parelli there are four 'Savvys'; On Line (rope and halter), Liberty (no rope halter or anything to attach you to your horse), Freestyle (like pleasure riding) and finesse (like dressage). If i spend an hour with my horse, I would spend 15 minutes on each, also to keep her even. :D

Delfina 01-03-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savvygirl559 (Post 1291512)
I ride Parelli

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Horse (Post 1291528)
There is a comment you don't hear so often, it's more usual it seems to be ground based Parelli followers.

Maybe it's because she's riding Parelli and not a horse? :shock:

Golden Horse 01-03-2012 12:21 PM

:rofl::rofl: I'm sure there was a thread that got out of hand on that very subject, so maybe we'd better stay away from those thoughts this time.

TheMadHatter 01-03-2012 12:25 PM

He talks too much for me lol

savvygirl559 01-03-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delfina (Post 1291552)
Maybe it's because she's riding Parelli and not a horse? :shock:

hahahh!! thats funny!

:rofl: but i do ride a horse! and would you say 'i ride my horse traditionally', 'i ride traditional' or i ride traditionally'?:wink: and my options are 'i ride Parelli', i play with and ride my horse parelli-y' or i ride parelli-y' lol:lol: