The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   A drop of iodine on each side of the wither... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/drop-iodine-each-side-wither-108285/)

QHriderKE 01-04-2012 12:33 AM

A drop of iodine on each side of the wither...

I once heard that putting a drop of iodine on each side of a horses wither will tranquilize them...

Is it true!?

natisha 01-04-2012 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QHriderKE (Post 1292647)
I once heard that putting a drop of iodine on each side of a horses wither will tranquilize them...

Is it true!?

I doubt it. There's no medical or physiological reason that would work.

Walkamile 01-04-2012 12:39 AM

subbing..........

Walkamile 01-04-2012 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natisha (Post 1292656)

Oh please natisha, can't it be so! It would save me much $$$$$$ when Walka needs his teeth floated. :-(

I think I will ask my vet though, very curious about this one.

QHriderKE 01-04-2012 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natisha (Post 1292656)

Well there's no reason for a person to be able to put one hand on a horse, saddle and blanket, stick the other arm straight out and have someone push down on it and then say if the saddle/blanket combo will sore the horse or not. I was skeptical of that at first, but when we had someone do that to help find a solution for my mares withers always going out, we tested a certain pad, it tested good with the saddle, and her withers havent been out in a long time.

We've also chosen many bits like this too... and honest to god, it works.

So I'm just asking around about the iodine thing...

waresbear 01-04-2012 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walkamile (Post 1292663)
Oh please natisha, can't it be so! It would save me much $$$$$$ when Walka needs his teeth floated. :-(

Would be a very thrifty way to tranq a horse.:-)

Walkamile 01-04-2012 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QHriderKE (Post 1292667)
Well there's no reason for a person to be able to put one hand on a horse, saddle and blanket, stick the other arm straight out and have someone push down on it and then say if the saddle/blanket combo will sore the horse or not. I was skeptical of that at first, but when we had someone do that to help find a solution for my mares withers always going out, we tested a certain pad, it tested good with the saddle, and her withers havent been out in a long time.

We've also chosen many bits like this too... and honest to god, it works.

So I'm just asking around about the iodine thing...

Oh QHrider, much embarrassment on my part! :oops: I thought you were talking about it tranqing the whole horse, not just a specific part!

QHriderKE 01-04-2012 12:54 AM

I believe I heard that it would just calm the horse right down so you could, for example, clean a bothersome wound or do their feet ect... I'm just wondering if it's true cause I have a yearling that has gunk left over from a urinary tract infection frozen to her backside, and she wont let us touch it to get at it with warm water... she's just getting used to people, so that also makes things difficult.

bubba13 01-04-2012 12:58 AM

No.

What's wrong with Dormosedan oral gel? Or Ace?

natisha 01-04-2012 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walkamile (Post 1292663)

LOL- OK, sorry, the next time Walka needs his teeth done you put the iodine on him & if he acts sedate afterwards it will be because he's embarrassed his person did that.
Please do ask your vet. I'd ask mine but I'd be worried he would think I was using some harvested crop & I don't mean alfalfa.:wink: