The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Colt's First Ride - What headgear do you use? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/colts-first-ride-what-headgear-do-108292/)

SorrelHorse 01-04-2012 12:50 AM

Colt's First Ride - What headgear do you use?

Just wondering, when you are getting on a colt for the first time, are you what headgear do you ride him in? Just a halter? A snaffle?

Generally what I would do is start the colts on their very first ride just a couple of circles being ponied by another horse. The halter is on underneath being held by the rider on the horse, the rider has the reins but doesn't pull on them. Then on their first solo ride I go in a snaffle. I just notice a lot of people riding their colts first in halters so I was wondering. I don't see anything wrong with either, so long as you aren't yanking that snaffle through the colts mouth.

waresbear 01-04-2012 12:52 AM

For a first ride you mean? Last 20 years, I have always used a loose ring snaffle and an english bridle as I like the noseband and good throat latch.

Roperchick 01-04-2012 12:55 AM

for my colt i just rode him in a halter with a lead, but thats only cuz hes like my mutant child and i trust him compeletely. for everybody else's i use pretty much the same thing as waresbear.

COWCHICK77 01-04-2012 08:50 AM

I start colts in a rope halter and lead rope. But sometimes I will start them in a loose ring snaffle as well, depends on who's colts I am starting. I worked for a trainer that preferred me to start his in a Springsteen. I had no issues with it, just have to be careful.
Posted via Mobile Device

LynnF 01-04-2012 09:04 AM

It depends on the horse for me its either a halter or a snaffle. I have a few different types of snaffles and will interchange them.

MHFoundation Quarters 01-04-2012 09:12 AM

Depends on the horse for me too, I don't see a thing wrong with halter or snaffle. First rides for me are generally done in a loose ring snaffle. I also have a half breed side pull that I use on occasion.

Brookside Stables 01-04-2012 09:23 AM

Full cheek snaffle. Before I even get on their backs, they are already giving to bit pressure from the ground. They understand left, right, back and to break at the poll. Once they are responding well on the ground it's just a matter of getting on and going.

crimsonsky 01-04-2012 12:17 PM

i intend to start my colt in an english bridle and eggbutt snaffle. he already takes the bridle fine so the expectation is that he will long line and understand simple bit cues before i get on. with that in mind, i see no reason not to have his first ride be in a bridle.

coltrule 01-04-2012 12:25 PM

I started Lolly in a side pull hackimore,.. and rode bare back..she was 2..and we just walked 60 feet..then came back.

Cinnys Whinny 01-04-2012 12:29 PM

Most people around here start off with a rope training halter or a sidepull. When I first got Cin and had to start from the ground up, I used a sidepull first but lunged him with a loose ring snaffle.