The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   Horse Needing an Experienced Handler/Trainer (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/horse-needing-experienced-handler-trainer-108329/)

Chuds 01-04-2012 12:32 PM

Horse Needing an Experienced Handler/Trainer

Ruby is an 18 year old Thoroughbred/Quarter horse. About 14.2 or 14.3. She has behavior problems, mostly when being tacked and ridden. But I believe it is due to fear she may have about being in pain. She is in need of an experienced horse trainer, preferably a certified John Lyons trainer or someone experienced in natural horsemanship. Ruby was originally meant as a lesson horse, but because of her behavior problem we cannot keep her.
She is located in Pasadena, Maryland. I will be extremely picky about who buys her because I want her to go to the right home.
I would only like inquiries of people who are experienced trainers and are serious about taking on such a project.

franknbeans 01-04-2012 12:54 PM

Not to be mean at all, but an 18 yr old with severe issues should not be "for sale". You should be happy if you are able to find someone to take her and give her a good home. Perhaps she would be bettter suited as a companion at this point in her life. And what "pain" has she known that you think if causing her fear?

Chuds 01-04-2012 01:30 PM

I am trying to get her a good home. I just don't want people to not know what her problems are. I am doing this for the person who does own her and wants to have her put down due to behavior problems.
I believe she may have had back problems in her past, but the vet now does not see any problems. So she may just have fear of hurting.
She can be a companion horse. But if somebody wants to ride her they should be an experienced horse person or have an experienced trainer.

Speed Racer 01-04-2012 01:35 PM

There are worse things than a quiet euthanasia at home in familiar surroundings, with people a horse knows and trusts.

Sounds like you're on some kind of crusade to 'save' her from euthing. Why not take her yourself, if you're so passionate about not letting her be put down?

Since she didn't work out as a lesson horse, I don't see why you can't take over ownership and turn her out to pasture yourself.

Chuds 01-04-2012 02:20 PM

I can't take her. I am boarding 4 horses of my own. Two of which were rescued.
All I wanted to do was to see if anyone was interested, that's it. And let them know what she is like and what she needs.

Northern 01-04-2012 03:33 PM

Your message, OP, is perfectly understandable & reasonable. Why euthanize her if she could find a qualified person who wants her? 18 isn't that old these days; she could have 10 more active years.

Euthanize her when possibilities have been exhausted.

It's kind of you to put her info on the board. Good Luck to the mare!

smrobs 01-04-2012 03:46 PM

Chuds, I have to agree with Frank and Speed. With the market like it is, you won't find a qualified person who is willing to pay for a horse like that. Unfortunately, it is unlikely that you will be able to find her a qualified home even if you are giving her away for free. With costs the way they are right now for hay and gas, very few people capable of handling a horse with "issues" want one that is that age and has that many issues.

Not to sound harsh, but I believe the only people that will end up interested in this horse will be the inexperienced bleeding hearts, the people who choose the old, sick crippled horse out of the kill pen instead of the young, saddle broke one, because they feel sorry for it.

With her age being what it is and if her issues are as bad as you claim, the kindest thing may be to spoil her for a few days and then have her euthed. That way, you can know for a fact that she will not end up in some horrible situation further down the line.

lubylol 01-04-2012 03:48 PM

Chuds. Message me, I have a question or two. I live in Pasadena, Maryland...weird!
Posted via Mobile Device

franknbeans 01-04-2012 03:50 PM

Again, I am NOT trying to sound mean or snarky, just realistic. You have rescued 2, so I am guessing you have some clue as to how the market is. In the first post, you intimate she is for sale.....(referring to the person who "buys" her) and that "you will be picky.." about who buys her....but you do not OWN her, per your later post. So, what exactly IS the situation, and how would you have any say in what happens to her. I appreciate that you are trying to help, but is the owner aware of this?

We (here in the midatlantic) happen to be in a pretty expensive area for keeping horses. We are also in an area where is is pretty easy to get OTTB's nearly (if not) free, and Camelot auction is just up the road a couple of hours. THey have had many pretty nice horses cheap lately. TO try and get $$ for this horse is just not realistic, IMO.

Chuds 01-04-2012 06:26 PM

The owner gave me permission to do this. We were not asking for any money. But everyone can just forget I wrote anything, I talked with the owner this evening and she agreed I could continue to work with her since she really does not want to put her down.
Thanks for everyone's comments.