The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Alfalfa Pellets Compared to Cubes or Hay (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/alfalfa-pellets-compared-cubes-hay-108371/)

2horses 01-04-2012 05:41 PM

Alfalfa Pellets Compared to Cubes or Hay

I have used alfalfa cubes before, but they seemed to take a lot of time to soak and break down; so I was wondering how alfalfa pellets compare nutritionally to alfalfa cubes or hay.

draftgrl 01-04-2012 05:51 PM

Pellets break down ALOT easier. My BO uses them for her 27+ yr old guy who hardly has any teeth left in replacement of hay. They pretty much break down immediatly when he eats them. (she does not wet them down)

Is there a reason you're thinking of switching?

2horses 01-04-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draftgrl (Post 1293791)

Is there a reason you're thinking of switching?

Thanks for your answer. I am thinking of switching so that I don't have to soak them, but I wasn't sure if they are as healthy in regards to fiber and digestion. I'm trying to find bagged hay products because I don't have a truck right now. I have coastal hay, but my little guy needs some alfalfa too.

Left Hand Percherons 01-04-2012 08:00 PM

Typically hays with less eye appeal and lesser in quality are used for pellets and cubes. The good part is they typically are tested and have a quaranteed analysis to work with. Go by what it says on the label.

2horses 01-04-2012 09:18 PM

Thanks for the info.

draftgrl 01-04-2012 10:30 PM

I was going to say the same thing Left, about the quality of hay that is used for pellets. IMO unless the horse is heavey (sorry don't know how to spell it) or cannot chew hay, I would always feed hay. If you're able to get a friend to lend their truck to ya.

Is this an older horse that you soak the cubes?