The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   hoof growth (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/hoof-growth-108378/)

rocelynwalker 01-04-2012 07:53 PM

hoof growth

i have a QH whose is slightly pigeon toed, am looking for something i can mix into her feed to help her feet grow faster so the problem can be fixed, because she is wearing her feet down and crooked, ad they cannot be fixed as they are short to begin with, any ideas?

Roperchick 01-04-2012 07:58 PM

i use SmartHoof® Pellets - Horse Hoof Supplements from SmartPak Equine
for my mare, shes had some bad hoof problems and this really helps so strengthen them and grow healthy

rocelynwalker 01-04-2012 08:25 PM

who carries it?

Roperchick 01-04-2012 08:27 PM

you can get it online on their website smartpakequine.com or most tack stores i go to have them like Big R, IFA, tractor supply ect.

caseymyhorserocks 01-04-2012 08:29 PM

There are lots of types, I would just buy some locally that has Biotin in it.

loosie 01-04-2012 09:15 PM

Hi,

To improve hoof growth, well balanced diet & nutrition is important, so I'd look for a good suitable complete supplement. But biotin does help them grow faster, even in excess to balanced nutrition.

But talking about 'correcting' pigeontoes - or other conformational/body issues through 'corrective' hoofcare is not a good move IMO.

rocelynwalker 01-06-2012 06:39 PM

well i am not trying to correct the problem so much as bear with it because if i get her feet long enough i can trim them evenly to put easyboots or shoes on her to keep her feet from wearing unevenly, i am worried that they will wear down and make her lame, hence why i am trying to find prroduct to grow her feet, i am open to other, better ideas!!

loosie 01-06-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocelynwalker (Post 1296891)
well i am not trying to correct the problem so much as bear with it because if i get her feet long enough i can trim them evenly to put easyboots or shoes on her to keep her feet from wearing unevenly, i am worried that they will wear down and make her lame, hence why i am trying to find prroduct to grow her feet, i am open to other, better ideas!!

A bit confused what you mean by the above. Pics & more info wouldn't go astray if you want specific advice on her. Do you mean that she wears her feet unevenly, so you want them to grow more so you can cut them even? If so, that's something I'd call 'corrective' and not a good move generally. Instead, keeping them from overgrowing & trimming them to their own balance - whatever that is for that particular horse & hoof, is generally what I'd tend to do.