The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Need a "quote" for a Thoroughbred! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/need-quote-thoroughbred-108403/)

Bananna 01-04-2012 11:22 PM

Need a "quote" for a Thoroughbred!

Hello! Here's some info on a horse I'm interested in buying:

7 year old registered Thoroughbred
Has some show experience, always ribbons when he shows
I've been riding him in lessons/leasing him for 3 months now and I can honestly say he's very sound. He jumps anything I've put in front of him, up to 3.5 feet so far without any hesitation at all.
Trailers well, clips well
Healthy
Honestly the only vices I have noticed so far is some times he doesn't let go of his bit when i take off his bridle :lol:

Here is a link with a video of my trainer riding him during a clinic. Sorry, it's a really long video but you can scrub through it!

Suzanne's Ride at the Polo Club on Vimeo

I've been riding for 6 years (emphasis in Hunter) and this is easily the most reliable horse I have eve ridden.

If you guys could please tell me what you would pay for this horse, or if you know how much a similar horse has been bought/sold for that would be great.

Thank You!!

smrobs 01-04-2012 11:27 PM

First off, welcome to the forum :D. He looks like a pretty nice boy but I won't through out a guess for price as I don't ride english and I don't show, but I will ask: have you browsed through horse sale sites to compare the prices of horses with similar temperament/conformation/training in your general area? If you haven't, that may give you a good idea of what a horse like him is worth.

feistymomma 01-05-2012 12:53 PM

In the past I have paid a few thousand dollars for a decently trained horse. I would suspect the same for this horse. My thoroughbred I have now was purchased for 4000.00 as a five year old by his previous owner, and is trained in hunter jumper and dressage. The previous owner actually gave me this horse because she did not have time or him, but if I had purchased him I would have paid around the same.

Speed Racer 01-05-2012 01:06 PM

A horse is worth what the buyer is willing to pay for it.

I'm curious; do you think his price is set too high or something?

themacpack 01-05-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1295041)
A horse is worth what the buyer is willing to pay for it.

I'm curious; do you think his price is set too high or something?

Agreed. Also, OP, prices vary greatly from one region to the next, so the "norm" for this horse where I am at could be vastly different from what one should expect to pay where you are.

Bananna 01-05-2012 01:42 PM

Thanks for the input!

And yes, he's being offered at $15,000. I have been looking at horses for sale in my area and the only comparable horses seem have much more show experience, some times including a Champion title.

The issue is that I'm not looking to buy any horse, I really want to buy him. However, I feel like $15,000 is a bit much. He does have an amazing temperament and everything, but it's still hard to justify that much so I'm really trying to figure out what is a reasonable offer.

alexischristina 01-06-2012 06:41 AM

He's a beautiful horse, however for $15,000 I would expect a horse with LOTS of show miles and lots of wins. He's beautiful, but he doesn't jump out at me as being 'AMAZING'. It also depends on whether he was on the track... The price did surprise me a little bit...

maura 01-06-2012 08:09 AM

I concur with the other posters. Nice horse, lovely way of going. Didn't wow me with his form over fences. Probably a good equitation prospect. Doesn't strike me as a top 'A' horse but capable of competing and being respectable just about anywhere.

Unless his show mileage is at some very good shows, I'm not sure I see the $15K price tag, but as everyone else has said, it depends a lot of the local market conditions. The suggestion to look at the online sale sites to get a feel for the local market is a good one.

feistymomma 01-06-2012 08:45 AM

That price surprises me too. I would personally not pay over about 5k for him. "Some" show experience does not warrent 15k.

Country Woman 01-06-2012 01:36 PM

from what I saw he is not worth $15,000 that the seller wants
I think he is worth $5,000 or less