The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Jumping with no stirrups, no hands, and with closed eyes (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/jumping-no-stirrups-no-hands-closed-108404/)

kitten_Val 01-04-2012 10:28 PM

Jumping with no stirrups, no hands, and with closed eyes

Just curious how common it is in lessons. :wink: I started taking jumping lessons fairly recently (just about 3 months), and jumping with one hand, one stirrup or closed eyes is part of the exercise we just started at the last lesson. I have to say jumping with free hand (hopefully will progress to both) and with closed eyes is lots of fun - I really liked that, with one stirrup (which I'm sure will be no stirrups at all eventually) is quite tough though. Any other crazy exercises one can share? :D

smrobs 01-04-2012 10:41 PM

I don't have any to share but that exercise sounds like a very good way to learn how to really feel the horse.

ChingazMyBoy 01-04-2012 10:57 PM

I've done them all.

But only on quiet horses which have solid training - school masters and I wouldn't go jumping one metre with my eyes closed. Horses don't always jump and they could spook or anything.

kitten_Val 01-05-2012 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 1294325)
I don't have any to share but that exercise sounds like a very good way to learn how to really feel the horse.

You are right. Especially the one with the closed eyes - you can feel every movement really good. I'd never risk doing it on my own greenie, but that's why I learn on lesson horses at the moment. :-)

kitten_Val 01-05-2012 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChingazMyBoy (Post 1294355)
But only on quiet horses which have solid training - school masters and I wouldn't go jumping one metre with my eyes closed. Horses don't always jump and they could spook or anything.

We did 3 fences in row (not big though, just couple feet). I completely agree about solid horses though.

maura 01-05-2012 06:34 AM

I did lots and lots of gymanstics with no stirrups and no reins; and also with closed eyes, and I did similiar exercises with students.

We has a lot of fun with the no hands - I would have them do hands on head, hands on shoulders, hands on hips, airplane arms, etc.

The craziest version of this that I ever did (NOT RECOMMENDED) was an instructor back in the early 70's who had the class pass their helmets around their backs over each element of the gymnastic. This was back when helmets were still mostly decorative and didn't have safety harnesses. The interesting thing is that it worked very well. Having to really *think* about passing the helmet completely prevented riders from stiffening/anticipating the jumps.

kitten_Val 01-05-2012 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maura (Post 1294712)
The craziest version of this that I ever did (NOT RECOMMENDED) was an instructor back in the early 70's who had the class pass their helmets around their backs over each element of the gymnastic. This was back when helmets were still mostly decorative and didn't have safety harnesses. The interesting thing is that it worked very well. Having to really *think* about passing the helmet completely prevented riders from stiffening/anticipating the jumps.

I doubt you are even allowed to ride in lesson now without the helmet on. Lol!

DuffyDuck 01-05-2012 07:25 AM

I have enough problems trying to jump WITH stirrups, reins and eyes closed.. if I did that I'd need to book a bed in A&E haha!

If I could find a horse, who was a teacher, rather than a greenie, and a patient instructor I'd give it another shot.

Still going to find someone in Spring to jump Duffy for me though, reckon it would be a BAD idea for me to do it.

gypsygirl 01-05-2012 08:16 AM

my old trainer used to make us go through a grid with eyes closed, no stirrrups, and no reins. with our hands we would have to pretend to pull a rope through our hands, hand over hand -if that makes sense, i forget what she called it ! a lady i jumped with wanted me to jump with no girth on, but i said no, i think thats crazy !

kitten_Val 01-05-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuffyDuck (Post 1294740)
I have enough problems trying to jump WITH stirrups, reins and eyes closed.. if I did that I'd need to book a bed in A&E haha!

If I could find a horse, who was a teacher, rather than a greenie, and a patient instructor I'd give it another shot.

Still going to find someone in Spring to jump Duffy for me though, reckon it would be a BAD idea for me to do it.

Duffy, from my experience the progress truly depends on instructor, not so much on horse. So if you find a good eventing or jumping instructor I'm positive you could do it. :-) My dressage trainer while she jumped too years ago told me on spot that she won't teach me jumping, because it's not her specialty. I'm taking lessons with the eventing instructor (who is very much like my dressage trainer in her teaching and approach, so it works for me).