The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Law (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/)
-   -   Horse Insurance (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/horse-insurance-108428/)

tomhenson 01-05-2012 05:33 AM

Horse Insurance

Hi,

Do people have insurance for their horse that covers them whilst on the road for damage against cars.

Heard on the radio today that people are kicking off at us riding on the roads and then I thought, hmm do I need insurance to cover me against a car accident?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

usandpets 01-05-2012 05:42 AM

It is good to have liability insurance. If your horse should get loose from their pasture and get hit by a vehicle, you are still responsible. You'd be not only responsible for the damage to the vehicle but also for any medical bills and even loss of income. All that adds up quickly. The cost of insurance is pretty cheap.
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 01-05-2012 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usandpets (Post 1294686)
It is good to have liability insurance. If your horse should get loose from their pasture and get hit by a vehicle, you are still responsible. You'd be not only responsible for the damage to the vehicle but also for any medical bills and even loss of income. All that adds up quickly. The cost of insurance is pretty cheap.
Posted via Mobile Device

that may or may not true, its gonna depend on the state and local law. A horse in the road not through negligence getting hit falls under the same category as a deer. Something that just happens and fault isnt assigned.
There are other liability issues though. If you have horses or land you should look into a farm policy, as oppossed to a homeowners policy. Homeowners insurance is basically worthless. I was amazed at the total lack of insurance that come with them.
I switched to another company and a farm policy. For much less money I got 100K equine liability, no hurricane deductible, tractor, horse trailer, farm equipment, barns etc all covered.

MHFoundation Quarters 01-05-2012 09:28 AM

Having liability with horses is a necessity imo. I agree with Joe on the farm route. Much easier on your pocket, better coverage. I have mine through a farm policy w/a company that only does farm/ag insurance as the other companies couldn't do what I needed with training horses, lesson students, etc. With the farm policy, there's blanket coverage for barns, arenas, tractor, trailer, bobcat, tack, even my hay plus several mil in liability.

CLaPorte432 01-05-2012 11:18 AM

889 Attachment(s)
We had a pony get out in the middle of the night. We couldn't figure out how in the world she did it. All gates were latched, electric fence on. It was after she had been at our house for about 2 weeks so it's not like she was completely new. She was settled in. We live pretty far back in the woods, but she managed to walk down the driveway and out into the road. We got a knock on our door at 3am asking if we had a pony because one was standing in the middle of the road. They had just hit her.

We ran down there and she was pretty banged up. Her mouth was resting on the pavement, she had road rash all over her. Luckily, no broken bones. No internal bleeding. Just super sore, bruised and cut up. Poor pony.

No charges were ever pressed because the kid driving (only 18) was so drunk, that if the police were brought in he would have been given a DUI and MIP. They even covered the vet bills for Apple Blossom.

We got lucky. We could have been sued big time.

Skyseternalangel 01-06-2012 11:33 PM

Does anyone have any good recommendations for liability or major medical insurance? (for horses of course lol)

kcscott85 01-07-2012 06:01 PM

Star H Equine Insurance. I was shopping around, looking for insurance for Charlie, and they come highly recommended. I got a quote from them and talked with them a bit to customize what I need. Only problem is that they only cover major medical until a horse is 15 (but all insurance companies do that) and Charlie will be 14 in April! I would check them out...I'm in NC, but their website says they are licensed in all 50 states.

Skyseternalangel 01-07-2012 06:04 PM

Alright, I definitely will! Thank you :)

NorthernMama 01-08-2012 03:31 AM

In Ontario, by joining the Ontario Equestrian Foundation, you get liability anywhere on any horse. It's inexpensive on its own plus saves me money on my house insurance!

Skyseternalangel 01-08-2012 10:13 AM

That is so awesome, NothernMama! I wish they did that here!