The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Tipping for the service. Thoughts? Opinions? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/tipping-service-thoughts-opinions-108432/)

kitten_Val 01-05-2012 08:28 AM

Tipping for the service. Thoughts? Opinions?

I'm always very confused if I have to tip the person or not. Of course I do tip in restaurants, and I always tip in beauty saloon (and I pay the guy that helps me to load/unload the hay, BUT it's not really a tip but rather a pay IMHO), but other than that...? Do you tip for delivery? Trail guides? Anything else?

When I was working (well, I'd say volunteering as I had zero pay) as a trail guide I very rarely was tipped, and I never expected to be. So what about other people experience in similar situations?

If I'm not mistaken you don't tip in Europe because it's already included (I may be wrong though).

kait18 01-05-2012 08:35 AM

in jersey you tip the trail guides..the limited ones we do have they let you know to tip.
i personally tip anyone that is being paid to help me with anything whether it is showing me a trail or helping unload feed/hay etc. i just find it to be a generous thing and people usually remember me and WANT to help me out. it might not be a crazy tip but a regular tip makes a huge difference in the way people help around me atleast :)

Dresden 01-05-2012 12:46 PM

I don't have any advice but want to hear the answers as I never know who to tip and who not to. I find the whole thing very confusing and wish people just got paid a straight amount so I wouldn't be inadvertantly screwing people over!
Posted via Mobile Device

jinxremoving 01-05-2012 01:19 PM

I tip at restaurants, cafes, basically anywhere food or beverages are being served. The same in regards to food being delivered to me. However, if someone is delivering a TV or some sort of package than I never tip. I'm not sure why and don't have any good reason to tip or not tip, it just doesn't feel as "personal" as someone bringing me food? If that makes sense.

mystykat 01-05-2012 04:24 PM

When I worked as a cashier in high school some people tried tipping me, especially when they had A LOT of groceries. Of course, we weren't allowed to accept them...

tinyliny 01-05-2012 04:33 PM

there just seems to be no rhyme or reason for who gets tipped and who doesnt'.

DuffyDuck 01-05-2012 04:33 PM

Oh no, you DEFFO tip out here in EU haha, you tip everyone, taxi driver, hairdresser (they leave mini piggybanks on the till)... everyone.

ladybugsgirl 01-05-2012 04:57 PM

I got tipped $1000 dollars one time. I usually tip though its always not alot as I am broke more than half the time

Sahara 01-05-2012 05:05 PM

I tip my hair stylist, farrier, waitresses, bell boys, airport curb service guys, taxi drivers, maid service in hotels, valet service....

Jake and Dai 01-05-2012 05:18 PM

I tip in restaurants or cafes where I'm being served. If it's counter service (like a Starbucks) I don't tip.

I don't tip my farrier, never have as I pay in cash and my ponies are barefoot. So I just figured it all goes in his pocket so why tip on top of that?

I tip my hairdresser, valets, bellboys if they help with bags, taxi drivers, pizza delivery guy, pretty much any delivery guy.

I also do tip in European restaurants but about 10%, not the 20% that is my standard here in the US. I've been told that's ok by some of my colleagues and way too much by others. **shrugs**