The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

i need advice

3K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  geewillikers 
#1 ·
i've been riding english pleasure for 15 years and hav never owned a horse but recently i got married and we're moving soon so that i can finally get a horse.
i wanted to know what is a good breed for a first horse. i have heard that some draft horses are good but i just wanted to get you oppinion. :D thanks

#2 ·
Since you are an experienced rider your choices are pretty wide open. Decide what you want to do with the horse as far a discipline and check out the breeds that best suit that choice. If I was in the market for a horse I would look into the Fresians. No reason really other than I think they are beautiful.

#4 ·
If you know what you want to be doing with your horse, as in riding-wise, you can then go from there on what breed of horse would be best suited for what you want to do.

#5 ·
Yes drafts are fantastic, not that I am being bias or anything ;)

Breed doesn't matter to much. I would be more looking for an older horse that has done it all and will be teaching you along the way. Younger horses require more work, are more stressful because they need more regular attention and can be hard on you when you run into training issues.
Check up ads for an older horse. My mare was an older mare and she was fantastic for me as a first horse. She was very patient and taught me a lot.

But then there is also drafts...

#6 ·
I'm a fan of crosses, non of this inbreeding crap. I also love drafts, so docile and so loving. I like clyde and shire crosses but my favorite draft breeds are the Irish draught and the Percheron. ID is more warmblood-y and the Percheron has some arabian blood. Of course, all breed recommendations should come with an ''individual results may vary'' :wink:

If you branch outside of drafts, I like stockier horses. The ones with good feet, strong limbs, and big butts, but coupled with a well angled shoulder and uphill build. QH warmblood mixes (only because warmbloods can add another 0 to the price) or appaloosas. I also really love TB pony crosses, they are sturdy, spunky, and sized just right.

also, I'd go with a gelding, mares can be more affectionate but they are exasperating and confusing as a first horse.

#7 ·
i think that personality matters more than breed for your first horse,
decide what you want to do with your horse then go from there, or if you want to get a horse and train him/her for what you want then just find the horse that clicks! lol thats what i did and i got the love of my life!
good luck!

#8 ·
Hey there!! Well personally I think Quarter Horses are very good for a first horse! Remember Dolly, Frisky, and Petey were all Quarter Horses and they were amazing!! Dolly still is! But Paints are really good too! Look at RooRoo!!

#9 ·
I've helped a lot of kids buy horses but the same rules apply to adults out shopping.

First, if you find yourself feeling uncomfortable or scared around the horse, walk away and keep shopping. Every person who has ignored that rule...including myself, I'm embarassed to admit...has been sorry. There are thousands of horses out there. There's no reason to start out being scared of one. ;)

Generally you'll find one or two breeds predominant in whatever area you live. Due to sheer numbers, those are the breeds you'll end up looking at. So my advice is to forget breed and look for a suitable horse.

Decide exactly what you will be doing with the horse, then look for one whose temperment, soundness, size and looks most closely suit him or her to your needs.

For example, if you want to ride over a lot of jumps, the horse must be 100% sound while if you just want to take some easy-going trail rides a few times a week, some minor physical problems are acceptable.

Finally, never, ever, no matter what buy a horse without getting it vet checked. Yes, it'll cost you some money but there are conditions a vet can discover that could end up costing you a whole lot more than the vet check did. Just keep in mind that there are also some physical problems that a vet check cannot discover but getting that check done is still a really good idea.

Oh, yeah...after paying the vet, listen to what he or she tells you. Don't worry, if the vet had bad news you ignore it and buy the horse anyway, you'll be paying that vet plenty more cash down the road. ;)

#10 ·
I have 3 horses, 2 of them have Clyde in them. Here is my Clyde cross. The crosses are nice because they have the lighter build which is obviously more appropriate for serious competitions. Here is Calypso. She is half Clyde and half QH:

She just turned 1 and will finish quite tall.

#11 ·
I've been riding for about 19 years and just got my first horse a year ago this November.

Willy's a "been there-done that" 16 year old Appendix qh gelding. He was packed on and roped off of, and has competed in western pleasure and had dressage lessons...he also carried kill after hunting trips, and so is quite seasoned with loud noises, and all animals.

I agree with M2G on this one. An older horse that can teach you a TON is your best bet. I learn so much from Willy every day. He's so patient and kind...but man, he lets me know if I'm doing something REALLY wrong :shock: !

Also, check out the potential horse's eye- a gentle eye is always a good thing to look for.

#12 ·
geewillikers said:
I've been riding for about 19 years and just got my first horse a year ago this November.

Willy's a "been there-done that" 16 year old Appendix qh gelding. He was packed on and roped off of, and has competed in western pleasure and had dressage lessons...he also carried kill after hunting trips, and so is quite seasoned with loud noises, and all animals.

I agree with M2G on this one. An older horse that can teach you a TON is your best bet. I learn so much from Willy every day. He's so patient and kind...but man, he lets me know if I'm doing something REALLY wrong :shock: !

Also, check out the potential horse's eye- a gentle eye is always a good thing to look for.
Can I have Willie? I've heard that carrying kill is one of the hardest things to teach a horse. He must be a great horse

I agree about the kind eye, a must have for me.

#14 ·
i reckon it's better to look for a horse with a nice personality rather than breed. a couple of other people have said it aswell, and i agree with them. but having said that, looking for a breed that has a normally calm, nice temperament is probably a good idea. quarter horses would make a good 1st horse, most of ours are good doers and quiet. not only that they're pretty versatile too, depending what you wanted to do. hope you find a horse!!

#15 ·
Kansas had awesome advise, add in if you fall in love with a face-go home think it over and come back with your vet!!! buy nothing without a second-professional opinion, i adore the percheron X's or any draft cross they are so loving, willing and so much fun-but you will find the perfect partner for you if you keep what these guys all say in mind-personality beats beauty every time-if you spend the time researching you may find both in one package. You are going to have so much fun!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.