The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Team sorting, Which horse to take? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/team-sorting-horse-take-108467/)

lucky2008 01-05-2012 05:40 PM

Team sorting, Which horse to take?

I have 2 horses so which ever one I take the other one is going to be able for about 4 hrs or so.

Info on the horses.

Lucky- almost 4 year old appaloosa he is good with w/t but i havent loped him since I am waiting for the right age. I just sold his sister and he was left alone for 24hrs and seemed really stressed then marty (new horse) came the next day. Thing is Lucky is antsy so I know he wont stand still when we wait for our turn so I will probably need to get off him and hold him. Never chased a cow, has seen them in a pasture. Havent ridden him in a 3 weeks but he should be fine. Gets jealous when I ride marty or am giving her attention :(

Marty- Broke for w/t/l almost 5 years old and has chased cattle before and liked it. she will most likely stand still for a long period of time but I havent owned her for long so who knows. I think she might have less stress on her if I left her in the pasture alone but I dont know as I havent left her alone before in a pasture.

So which horse should I bring with? I will probably bring them both to an open arena on Sunday so they both get the attention and love they need :) feel free to ask any questions

Skyseternalangel 01-05-2012 05:49 PM

I think you should take Marty because it's be a treat for him and he's prepared! Plus it'd be a good challenge for him to stand still and move when you ask and for longer periods of time. I think he'd really like it!

Since your other horse hasn't loped before, it would be a little too much I think. Though once Lucky starts loping, it'd be really good for him to take part in the cattle sort (that's what it is, right?)

I had a friend take two of her young ones down. They both loped, they weren't cow horses though so that was new! But they had a lot of fun :)

Once day I want to try it with my horse.. :D

lucky2008 01-05-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 1295465)
I think you should take Marty because it's be a treat for him and he's prepared! Plus it'd be a good challenge for him to stand still and move when you ask and for longer periods of time. I think he'd really like it!

Since your other horse hasn't loped before, it would be a little too much I think. Though once Lucky starts loping, it'd be really good for him to take part in the cattle sort (that's what it is, right?)

I had a friend take two of her young ones down. They both loped, they weren't cow horses though so that was new! But they had a lot of fun :)

Once day I want to try it with my horse.. :D

Marty is a girl lol :lol: and marty is the one that stands still lucky doesnt and I would just do walk trot with him no loping so I dont think it would be too much.

smrobs 01-05-2012 05:58 PM

I would take Marty as well. She seems better prepared and in a situation where time is of the essence, like a sorting competition, an ill-prepared horse can be dangerous for everyone.

Plus, it would be good for Lucky to learn that he won't die if he's left alone for a while. Once he's a bit better prepared, then the sorting would likely do him good, but right now, it would probably just be overwhelming.

lucky2008 01-05-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 1295474)

Plus, it would be good for Lucky to learn that he won't die if he's left alone for a while. .

Love this!
Posted via Mobile Device

Skyseternalangel 01-05-2012 06:19 PM

Sorry!!! I'd still pick Miss Marty though :)

lucky2008 01-05-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 1295497)
Sorry!!! I'd still pick Miss Marty though :)

It's alright people think lucky is a girl and Marty a boy
Posted via Mobile Device

Skyseternalangel 01-05-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky2008 (Post 1295506)
It's alright people think lucky is a girl and Marty a boy
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh no!!! Yeah I have a gelding so I tend to write "him" and "he" a lot.

Either way you'll have to snap some pictures if you can! And let us know how it goes!!

lucky2008 01-05-2012 07:35 PM

I sure will get some pictures I think I am going to bring her and they bring them both to a arena on sunday
Posted via Mobile Device

lucky2008 01-07-2012 07:10 PM

Change of plans!! Lucky is going he's in the trailer right now, Marty kept rearing and wouldn't go in, lucky went right in first shot!
Posted via Mobile Device