The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Equine Insurance questions... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/equine-insurance-questions-108474/)

With Grace 01-05-2012 06:51 PM

Equine Insurance questions...

Would anyone be willing to share how much they pay for equine insurance? I'm putting together my costs on purchasing a horse to present to the hubby...basically going to plead my case as to why I need a horse in my life (I lease right now, so thankfully not horseless)

Anyways, I would like to get theft, mortality and major surgical, but if that is too expensive, then would get theft and mortality ins. I just need some ballpark figures to add to my "monthly costs" spreadsheet for my presentation:wink:

Thanks!

Kayty 01-05-2012 07:07 PM

I pay AU$45/month for insurance on my yearling. He is insured for less than his true value at the moment, I have him insured for $9500 at present, but they make you re-evaluate their value on a yearly basis, so my premium will increase with that price rise.
He is insured for death/humane destruction, and hi-cap vet bills, so my excess is $1000 and they'll cover the rest after that.

blush 01-05-2012 08:56 PM

I have Robbie insured for $30,000 CAN (full mortality - so if he dies, I get $30k for him) and his yearly insurance costs $1,000.
That covers full mortality, theft, property damage, rider injury, major medical, surgery up to $10,000, etc.
For medical costs I pay a $500 deductable and then they cover the rest.

Insurance costs do vary with how much you insure your horse for though, my last guy was only insured for $15,000 full mortality and I paid $500/year.

I highly suggest insuring, many people I know have not and cannot afford major medical resulting in euthanizing their horse.

MyBoyPuck 01-05-2012 09:04 PM

I pay $100 per $1000 of value for mortality. My insurance covers $13,000 for colic, although I'm not entirely sure how that's evaluated.

If you're trying to pre-plan for illness stuff, the rule of thumb in my area is expect to write a check for $200 every time the vet comes out. I keep $1000 on hand each year and it seems to be a good amount for a non-accident prone horse.

PaintHorseMares 01-05-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blush (Post 1295801)
I have Robbie insured for $30,000 CAN (full mortality - so if he dies, I get $30k for him) and his yearly insurance costs $1,000.
That covers full mortality, theft, property damage, rider injury, major medical, surgery up to $10,000, etc.
For medical costs I pay a $500 deductable and then they cover the rest.

Insurance costs do vary with how much you insure your horse for though, my last guy was only insured for $15,000 full mortality and I paid $500/year.

I highly suggest insuring, many people I know have not and cannot afford major medical resulting in euthanizing their horse.

For anyone not familiar with insurance, I would like to add for clarity that most mortality insurance policies will only actually pay you the 'value' of your horse which is typically either your purchase price or 'fair market value' at time of death, i.e. even if you insure a $5000 horse for $10,000, if it dies, you only get $5000.