The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   smart paks? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/smart-paks-108476/)

BarrelracingArabian 01-05-2012 07:16 PM

smart paks?

Currently my boy is on half alfalfa (small flake) and a slighlty larger flake of oat hay and he's a chubber haha very easy keeper. However he I believe will be 16 this year and has had a previous torn tendon from his racing career, so when I got this magazine about the smart paks and saw what they offered I found three that he could possibly benefit from. Now he is ridden about 3 times a week currently and is not on pasture. He is my gymkhana horse very high enery and what not. Anyways these are what I found and I would love to hear your opinions.

1. Smartflex2 support. 28 day pak is 39.95
2. Smarttendon powder 28 day pak is 19.95
~pellet pak 28 day is 22.95 so I would probably go with the powder
3.SmartCalm pellet 28 day pak is 19.95

I think that I may not get the smart flex as it would be 80 bucks a month and my mom may not go for that compared to the 40 a month with just the tendon and calm... Anyways any opinions?

BarrelracingArabian 01-05-2012 08:07 PM

anybody?

Cinnys Whinny 01-05-2012 08:11 PM

I currently use the SmartCalm and I'm pleased with it. My horse is still super energetic but doesn't have some of the anxiety issues that he used to have. It all depends on WHY you are giving it to your horse. If you think it will make it completely calm and docile, then you won't be pleased. If you want to take the edge off of anxiety, or have your horse be a little less spooky, it may work for you. Most people I know who use it to take the edge off of spooking say that their horse still spooks, just not as explosively as usual.

The other supplements I know nothing about.

kitten_Val 01-05-2012 08:14 PM

I've read the magazine you are talking about. Per what they say you have to stuff every horse with all kinds of supplements starting young age. Which doesn't sound right to me at all, because too much of something can be as bad (or worse in some cases) as not enough. Personally I'd talk to your vet before you start feeding all those supplements.

BarrelracingArabian 01-05-2012 08:15 PM

Brain dead moment he bowed his tendon while racing not tore *face palm*

-That is why I was asking hah he isn't really spooky however he can be very nervous. I was considering it though mainly because when we are running he gets so anxious and hyped up that he just loses his mind at times. I'm not sure if the smart calm would help him though it was just a consideration.

kitten_Val 01-05-2012 08:18 PM

^^ You never know with calming supplements. I tried different ones and only one (herb mix) kinda worked (BTW, valerian made my mare even more hyper). Can't tell until you try really.

BarrelracingArabian 01-05-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 1295700)
I've read the magazine you are talking about. Per what they say you have to stuff every horse with all kinds of supplements starting young age. Which doesn't sound right to me at all, because too much of something can be as bad (or worse in some cases) as not enough. Personally I'd talk to your vet before you start feeding all those supplements.

He will not be stuffed with grain haha he doesn't need anything really. However I was just considering him already having bowed a tendon before that this might help him a touch he doesn't have to have the calm supplement that was just a thought not somehting I would definitely use. The tendon one though I'm pretty sure he could benefit from. If anything the tendon one will be the only one I end up giving him.

BarrelracingArabian 01-05-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 1295712)
^^ You never know with calming supplements. I tried different ones and only one (herb mix) kinda worked (BTW, valerian made my mare even more hyper). Can't tell until you try really.

Very true. I don't think trying it would hurt him any but I don't have to get it. Just a thought.

Cinnys Whinny 01-05-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarrelracingArabian (Post 1295704)
Brain dead moment he bowed his tendon while racing not tore *face palm*

-That is why I was asking hah he isn't really spooky however he can be very nervous. I was considering it though mainly because when we are running he gets so anxious and hyped up that he just loses his mind at times. I'm not sure if the smart calm would help him though it was just a consideration.

Cinny still gets very hyped up when running to the point that if I don't let he keep going sometimes he rears and throws a tantrum, even with the SmartCalm. It may not help you with this problem.

BarrelracingArabian 01-05-2012 09:04 PM

Thank you cinny for the feedback :]