The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Trial Period?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/trial-period-108529/)

stephk 01-06-2012 08:01 AM

Trial Period??

Please help! I have found a horse I really like but they will NOT agree to any sort of trial period. I went to see him twice and my trainer went with me and rode her also and she was perfect. My trainer does not like the fact that they are so are unwilling to bend on the trial-period thing to the point I think she will recommend walking away from the horse. Since this is my first time buying I want to know how many of you out there had a trail period before you purchased...is this common??..should I be concerned that will will not allow trial?
I am an adult novice rider and the horse will used in HUS, English pleasure and trials. Any advise/stories wold help!

iridehorses 01-06-2012 09:23 AM

I've bought and sold many horses in my life time. Personally, I would never give a trial period with any horse I have for sale. A buyer can take as much time as necessary and ride him as many times as realistic but to take the horse off my property for any period of time? NO.

Once the horse has left, I have no control how the horse will be treated, ridden, fed, etc. I've had friends who have done that and in some cases the horse came back in poor condition, or with problems that it didn't leave with.

If you want a horse that I am selling, take your time and be sure - then pay your money and take your horse.

Although it is done, it is not a common practice anywhere I've lived.

annaleah 01-06-2012 09:39 AM

I agree with iridehorses...I don't think I would give a trial period either..you just never know..youi could of sold an angel and get back the devil himself! Now, I do know a lot of rescues will take the horse back if it is not a good fit..but I don't even know any individuals that have ever done a trial period...take your time and ride the horse as much as the seller will allow..and it seems like you are really drawn to this horse and your trainer seems to have given her ok too..so why not go for it. If you feel this horse is for you...don't pass it up.

Speed Racer 01-06-2012 09:52 AM

Unless you're talking about a high dollar animal ($50,000-$75,000), most sellers won't do a trial period.

Even someone willing to do a trial period will require the total purchase price upfront, as insurance against you taking off with the horse.

Trial periods are very risky for sellers, which is why most won't do them.

mls 01-06-2012 09:59 AM

The only way I would agree to a trial would be on site at my place.

feistymomma 01-06-2012 10:06 AM

I would not even consider a trial period off my property. There are too many risks and if you decide you don't wan the horse, yo have a Ken away time and opportunities for the seller to find another buyer. If you like the horse, go back a few times and try it out. Every time you buy a horse you are always taking a risk that the horse will not work out. Good luck!

amymarie57 01-06-2012 10:42 AM

Could you possibly lease this horse on site for a week?

stephk 01-06-2012 10:44 AM

Unfortunaltey they do not have an indoor arena.....

princess warrior 01-06-2012 11:07 AM

We have always had a trial period when buying horses, but we have gone and ridden as much as possibe first to see if the horse is a good fit then once we are sure that we are serious then a 2 week trial contract is set up and deposit is put down and insurance is on the horse. Usually we will not do a trial unless we are sure we are going to buy the horse and we have kept every horse we have trialed. I personally would not take a horse I could not trial, my trainer got me started on it, It has worked well for us.

thesilverspear 01-06-2012 11:16 AM

I've never trialed a horse I was buying nor would I let one I was selling out on a trial period for the reasons the above posters have stated. Potential buyers are welcome to visit the barn (with me) and ride the horse more than once, but the horse does not leave the property until it is bought. When I've bought horses, I've visited and tried them out at their owner's stable and if I like the horse enough after three or so rides, I get it vet checked.