The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   What should Dusty do? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/what-should-dusty-do-108541/)

MangoRoX87 01-06-2012 12:37 PM

What should Dusty do?

7 Attachment(s)
Dusty is 3 now.
Here are his dam and sire's pedigree.
He is a super sweet colt, learns very quick. Not quite as lazy as his sire, has a bit more OOMF. He has an amazing stop and already learned how to tuck his butt. He is a little bit lanky compared to his siblings, but is slowly putting on more muscle. He will be going to training (maybe:/ ) this spring, and I was wondering what you guys think would suit him. I was thinking sorting, cutting, or reining:) I show at ranch horse shows, also. *Sorry ahead of time if the pictures suck!*

Sire:
PEDIGREE RECORD 2006, AQHA. All Rights Reserved.

Dam:
PEDIGREE RECORD 2006, AQHA. All Rights Reserved.

TheMadHatter 01-06-2012 04:00 PM

I looooooooooove his tail. I just want to braid it LOL can't ya tell I like grooming? ;)

Build wise, he is a bit lanky but a lot of hilly trail rides should sort that out and really make those muscles stand out. He's got a noticeable whither, which I like because its easier for the saddle to grip than a smooth shouldered horse (like my Sunny) his legs appear long in the pictures and kind of on the slender side bone wise, I'd keep a close eye on those joints of his if you start riding him in cutting or reining competitions.
Overall though he looks good, just needs some more muscle definition in the shoulders, along his topline and his rump but a lot of time under the saddle will fix that.

MangoRoX87 01-07-2012 05:26 PM

His tail is my pride and joy, I swear I'm so protective over it!!! Lol I never brush it unless I'm getting ready for a show.

He has been gaining muscle slowly.. His brothers and sisters are mostly pretty thick..his momma also pushed him off pretty quick, so I'm not sure if maybe he got a tad stunted? His brother who is a year younger is a hand taller lol
Posted via Mobile Device

missnashvilletime 01-07-2012 08:35 PM

Any of the events you mentioned he would probably be fine with, but I would train him cutting, a good cutting horse will make a good sorting/team penning horse :). But reining can do that too, so it's really your preference, he's only three so he might still bulk up in muscle. Good luck :). A horse will be good at whatever you train him for, I don't see any glaring conformational faults; but always keep an eye on your animals for any injuries.

MangoRoX87 01-07-2012 11:49 PM

Thanks!!:) I'm hoping he'll be my next ranch versatility horse:)
Posted via Mobile Device