The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Critique my short riding video! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/critique-my-short-riding-video-108562/)

Skyseternalangel 01-06-2012 03:18 PM

Critique my short riding video!
 
First off.. I AM SO EXCITED!!! I have never EVER seen myself on camera.. :oops: EVER. So this is the first time and it's so nice to have a good look at how I personally ride. :D :D :D

I know I have major faults.. as does my horse. But could you tell me what I'm doing wrong/need to fix?

He was lunged before in side reins w/t/c and the notorious "ho" and then I warmed him up for about 15 minutes before we started this video.

Ahhh stoked!!!

And if you are willing to comment on my horse too, that'd be awesome! He's a smidge above green and I'm an advanced beginner :-P The more detail and whip cracking, the better! (kidding guys, but seriously, I want to get better!)


Thank you!!!

DuffyDuck 01-06-2012 03:30 PM

Lovely to see you riding :D And clear film too!

At the 1.10 minute I can see your riding clearer, I would say more bend in your elbows, and less polishing of your seat.. keep that butt stiller ;D

You have lovely quiet hands in a sitting trot too, just try and roll those shoulders and loosen up a bit.. also try and sit a bit more 'under' yourself.. I like to think that my bum is tucked under me, so I don't bounce.

Also, for him, a bit more engagement from the hind, and a bit more activity in his front, neck and shoulders so he doesn't look like he's on your hands- lots of school figures will help with this.

At times, your outside rein is a bit 'loose' and if you want a contact, especially to get him more active behind and eventually bring him rounder and softer, it needs to be more consistent.

However, its now frozen on my laptop at 2.49 xD

All in all, you're a very neat, tidy rider! I would let anyone with your hands on my horse! Love how his tail goes swish swish swish!!!

Skyseternalangel 01-06-2012 03:36 PM

yeah as you can see my attempt at 2-point is ghastly :oops: Eventually I'll get it! The other day I was doing so good, but today felt like a take it easy day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuffyDuck (Post 1296718)
Lovely to see you riding :D And clear film too!

At the 1.10 minute I can see your riding clearer, I would say more bend in your elbows, and less polishing of your seat.. keep that butt stiller ;D

You have lovely quiet hands in a sitting trot too, just try and roll those shoulders and loosen up a bit.. also try and sit a bit more 'under' yourself.. I like to think that my bum is tucked under me, so I don't bounce.

Also, for him, a bit more engagement from the hind, and a bit more activity in his front, neck and shoulders so he doesn't look like he's on your hands- lots of school figures will help with this.

At times, your outside rein is a bit 'loose' and if you want a contact, especially to get him more active behind and eventually bring him rounder and softer, it needs to be more consistent.

However, its now frozen on my laptop at 2.49 xD

All in all, you're a very neat, tidy rider! I would let anyone with your hands on my horse! Love how his tail goes swish swish swish!!!

Thank you Duffy!! :)

Yeah I'm still trying to figure contact out.. but thank you! That was so helpful!

I have a huge problem with being stiff at he sitting trot.. and not controlling my horse at the posting trot xD but it's getting better. I will definitely try and roll my shoulders and engage him more in the hind. And I will try to tuck my bum a little more. Sometimes I feel my seatbones popping off but not slamming.. though it's happening less frequent now!


I'm so happy he isn't hollow though. I love his happy tail swishing :P He always holds it up when he's happy, like he's waving a flag haha.



Hopefully it unfreezes! It took a whole lot of time for it to upload.. silly youtube. If not I can always re-upload it. I might do that anyway and see if it makes a difference.

Thank you!

DuffyDuck 01-06-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 1296731)
yeah as you can see my attempt at 2-point is ghastly :oops: Eventually I'll get it! The other day I was doing so good, but today felt like a take it easy day.



Thank you Duffy!! :)

Yeah I'm still trying to figure contact out.. but thank you! That was so helpful!

I have a huge problem with being stiff at he sitting trot.. and not controlling my horse at the posting trot xD but it's getting better. I will definitely try and roll my shoulders and engage him more in the hind. And I will try to tuck my bum a little more. Sometimes I feel my seatbones popping off but not slamming.. though it's happening less frequent now!


I'm so happy he isn't hollow though. I love his happy tail swishing :P He always holds it up when he's happy, like he's waving a flag haha.



Hopefully it unfreezes! It took a whole lot of time for it to upload.. silly youtube. If not I can always re-upload it. I might do that anyway and see if it makes a difference.

Thank you!

It'll come with time, and practise.. like I said you have lovely hands, really steady, so when you do get the contact, at least you won't be rough with your hands.

Its not your video lol its my awful laptop.. it needs to go to the docs, after Duffy's vet bill though rofl

All in all, you look like you're enjoying yourself, and thats what riding is about- you know what you have to work on, so practise practise practise :) x

Skyseternalangel 01-06-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuffyDuck (Post 1296750)
It'll come with time, and practise.. like I said you have lovely hands, really steady, so when you do get the contact, at least you won't be rough with your hands.

Its not your video lol its my awful laptop.. it needs to go to the docs, after Duffy's vet bill though rofl

All in all, you look like you're enjoying yourself, and thats what riding is about- you know what you have to work on, so practise practise practise :) x

Well thank you :) Means a lot from you, Duffy.

DuffyDuck 01-06-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 1296772)
Well thank you :) Means a lot from you, Duffy.

It shouldn't hun, I have SO much to learn myself, and hope to turn my giraffe in to a dressage horse over a few months.. but the past two days, she took the micky- BIG time. I couldn't make her trot. At all. As in, spur, no spur, kicking the bejeebus out of her.. so today I held a small crop and tapped her shoulder.. the sense of failure on my part was devestating. Much better today though.. everyone has bad days, but you look so happy on Sky!

BUT- they're horses, and you have a lot, and I mean a lot going for you.. just keep on working on it!!

Skyseternalangel 01-06-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuffyDuck (Post 1296792)
It shouldn't hun, I have SO much to learn myself, and hope to turn my giraffe in to a dressage horse over a few months.. but the past two days, she took the micky- BIG time. I couldn't make her trot. At all. As in, spur, no spur, kicking the bejeebus out of her.. so today I held a small crop and tapped her shoulder.. the sense of failure on my part was devestating. Much better today though.. everyone has bad days, but you look so happy on Sky!

BUT- they're horses, and you have a lot, and I mean a lot going for you.. just keep on working on it!!

Oh but it does!!! Take the compliment or I may have to rugby tackle you, my good friend!

Haha lately everyone keeps telling me that, which makes me feel very strange since I can't see anything special going on.. other than Sky and my bond. I'm ever so happy on my horse and I like to think he's happy with me.

You are definitely NOT a failure.. I'm no stranger to the "let's just walk for life" kind of horse. You'll get there with Duffy!! You've been there with her, I mean your still shots are amazing. Especially that canter :P! You both have had a looot going on lately.. I'm just glad she's alright again and you can stop worrying so much!

I'll have to record my attempts to canter, teehee it's quite fun. I'm quite addicted to being recorded while riding now.. I understand now why people have so many videos of them riding or working with their horse or even OF their horse.

I'm an addict now.. beware... :twisted: :lol:

DuffyDuck 01-06-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 1296803)
Oh but it does!!! Take the compliment or I may have to rugby tackle you, my good friend!

Haha lately everyone keeps telling me that, which makes me feel very strange since I can't see anything special going on.. other than Sky and my bond. I'm ever so happy on my horse and I like to think he's happy with me.

You are definitely NOT a failure.. I'm no stranger to the "let's just walk for life" kind of horse. You'll get there with Duffy!! You've been there with her, I mean your still shots are amazing. Especially that canter :P! You both have had a looot going on lately.. I'm just glad she's alright again and you can stop worrying so much!

I'll have to record my attempts to canter, teehee it's quite fun. I'm quite addicted to being recorded while riding now.. I understand now why people have so many videos of them riding or working with their horse or even OF their horse.

I'm an addict now.. beware... :twisted: :lol:


Okay, okay ;D I'm about to PM you anyway!!

Duffy and I are still working on bond, she's a hard minded mare! And to be honest, we will get there.. it was another one of her tests, she had a sick chit and wanted a holiday lol.. need to update those photos I think!

I LOVE CANTER. You;ll have to do it.. again, just practise. Some days, what people say, and you practise just slots in to place one day and then you go AHHH that is what they meant ;D

Skyseternalangel 01-06-2012 08:04 PM

Anyone else wish to critique myself and possibly Sky?

kcscott85 01-06-2012 08:15 PM

I just have to say I LOVE Sky! I do love a round paint...you both look great together.

You have wonderful hands, but like Duffy said: a bit more bend in the elbows will help you maintain contact better with his mouth. I know this because this is one of my biggest flaws, hard to do! You do a great job of keeping your hands still (even at the sitting trot, I know some trainers that have trouble with that!), but a few times it seemed you were fighting the piano hand syndrome. My dressage trainer had me do lunge lessons at the sitting/posting trot where I had to hold two cups of water in my hands and not spill a drop. Oh, with no stirrups sometimes, too. Why do we pay so much for pain?

At the sitting trot you can visibily see your body stiffen. Totally a normal reflex to the bouncing motion- we so badly don't want to fall off that we tend to pinch with our knees and stiffen up. Really the opposite is true-pinching and stiffening will "aid" you in falling off, while relaxing and absorbing the motion will keep you steady and balanced. It just takes so much practice and again, no stirrup work will totally help with this.

Are you working with a trainer or taking lessons? Another thing I noticed was when you went to go pick up the posting trot, you started on the wrong diagonal, looked down at his shoulder, and then corrected it. I'm asking about the trainer because many instructors teach their students to post by looking at the shoulder instead of feeling the diagonal. If you don't already know how to feel for the diagonal, just when you're sitting the trot, pay attention to which hip is swinging backwards and forwards. When your outside hip swings forward, that's when you should rise. Easier said than done, and it takes lots of practice. You may already know all that already, so if you do, ignore me!

The last thing is something else I struggle with- roll your shoulders back and you have a slight chair seat! Your posture in the saddle really has a major effect on the way our horses respond to us, so we want to make sure it is as perfect as possible. Many times I've looked at pictures & videos of me riding and shudder- I look like a freakin' hunchback!

Awesome job though, you guys really do look like you have a great bond. He looks so happy and carefree. What do you eventually want to do with him?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0