The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake's put on some weight ! Critique?

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  shortysmalls 
#1 ·
Jake's been at my grandparents, hes gained the weight i hoped he would!
Now that hes got a few pounds on him could I get a confo critique?
We did just get him back a few days ago so I dont have the best pics, so I will add a few from when he was staying at my grandparents so dont say anything about the weight he's fat now :) lol
Thanks! He's a 16hh 11 y/o OTTB
First couple pics were taken today , the rest are older. Sorry, I dont have a decent rear pic...
Horse Mammal Stable Mane Mare

Horse Mane Mare Horse grooming Horse supplies

Horse Mammal Vertebrate Mare Mane

Tree Plant

Horse Halter Bridle Horse tack Horse supplies

Horse Mammal Vertebrate Mare Mane

Thank you guys :)

See less See more
#2 ·
I am going to be honest when I say I don't think he looks fat enough... He could easily put on some more weight without being truly fat.

Anyhow, I think he has a slight sway back, extremely high withers, maybe a tad bit butt high (cant really tell from the pictures) And he has some upright pasterns.

Hehe, I am not the best critiquer, so I stand corrected, but those are just the things I personally see.

Where about in Arkansas are you? I am from their also.

#4 ·
I think he has a nice healthy weight. Maybe a tiny bit sway backed, high withers and straight pasterns. He also has a very pretty face :)

#5 ·
The first three pictures are him now, the rest are older, I think he's at a pretty healthy weight considering how he looked when I got him but thanks for your opinion! I've heard about upright pasterns affect a horse? And then how can cowhocked be a good thing? Ive only heard bad things about it...
He may be a bit swaybacked, I honestly can't tell with the shark in on his back lol.
Thanks ! He gets that a lot! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

#9 ·
How do upright pasterns affect a horse?*
Posted via Mobile Device
Some people believe it leads to poor movement and unsoundness. Which I think is untrue. Horses with upright pasterns are known to excel in sprinting sports, they also have poor shock absorbing abilities. Honestly though, I don't think it's going be any trouble for you, as I'm sure he's in good hands :)

#7 ·
there is a some info about it somewhere on this forum. Being cowhocked isn't a bad thing. Your horse isn't severly cow hocked so I doubt you will have any problems with soundness with him being like that. I honestly forgot why it can be a good thing....I think tinyliny knows....my horse is cowhocked and she can do lots of things and her stifle doesn't get sore and such.

#10 ·
Hello Withers! LoL

He's cute. And yes, he looks better then he did. I think now he just needs some muscle put on him and toned up a bit. Love his face!

#11 ·
I'm in Faulkner county by the way Legend!
And thanks! I laid him off for a month or two since he was at my grandparents, now that he's back, he's getting worked each day and doing good so far! I just don't know what I'm gonna do if he starts to drop weight!
And thanks for the exercise tips!
Posted via Mobile Device

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.