The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   Help with buying pony ASAP!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/help-buying-pony-asap-10858/)

ponyz 07-01-2008 12:01 AM

Help with buying pony ASAP!!!

Ok I need help on how to buy the pony I ride. The owners are giving him to me for free. Its the extras that i dont know about. I want him so bad. We need eachother(sorr yif I sound Sappy) So this is what you need to know to hellp me out:

The Pony

~13.1hh
~Has never gotten sick(like so the vet would need to come out)
~no shoes
~9 years old
~I have all the tack/everything else.

What I need to know
COSTS
~Farrier
~Regular Vet
~Hay
~Grain
~Bedding
~Anything else

How much he would cost a month
How much he would cost a year

And I need to find a good priced boarding stable too about 0-20 miles from zip code 44060. Full care is disirable.

Ok thanks!! And the prices are about. not exact :) Thanks!! :P

ponyz 07-01-2008 10:44 AM

Come on guys!!!! I need you!!

JustDressageIt 07-01-2008 01:29 PM

Costs:

Board
- anywhere from $100-$800 per month, not including "extras" such as extra feed, blanketing costs, holding costs etc.

Vet & Vet care:
- Vaccinations once per year = around $200 all tolled
- Floating teeth = check with your vet for cost, will have to include sedation
- Deworming 4 times per year at $20/tube (or so) = $80
- You should always have the expectation that something might happen to your horse, and should be able to provide the care needed, either through a payment plan or direct cash.. I will not stand for someone saying "well my horse is lame/sick, but I can't affoard it right now, I'll wait till next paycheque." That is not acceptable, if your horse needs emergency care, that's that, period, and you have to be able to provide it.

Hay:
- Chances are this will be included in any board costs you might be paying, but maybe not. Depending on your area and costs, you can look at paying between $5 and $20/bale.

Grain:
- Again, depends on your horse's needs. Most horses are better off without grain. If you're feeding good quality hay, your horse shouldn't need grain, unless there's a condition that requires a different feeding regimen.

Bedding:
- Do you need to stable your horse indoors? Most horses are absolutely fine with being boarded outdoors, it's more natural for them :)
- Chances are this cost will be included in your boarding fee, but if it's not, then do some research at your local tack and feed stores, and that will give you an idea. I would recommend shavings rather than straw.

Hope this helps.

SonnyWimps 07-01-2008 01:45 PM

for full board (meaning horse in a stall) I'd expect to pay anywhere from $400-$1000 a month....pasture board is cheaper and MUCH healthier for a horse!

As for the others JDI is about correct. Each vet, and farrier will charge different prices so it's hard to give an estimate. I pay $30 every 6 weeks for Sonny's hooves to be trimmed (he's barefoot)

Gingerrrrr 07-01-2008 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonnyWimps
for full board (meaning horse in a stall) I'd expect to pay anywhere from $400-$1000 a month....pasture board is cheaper and MUCH healthier for a horse!

As for the others JDI is about correct. Each vet, and farrier will charge different prices so it's hard to give an estimate. I pay $30 every 6 weeks for Sonny's hooves to be trimmed (he's barefoot)

i use to pay like $32 for ginger to get her feet trimmed (she was barefoot too) and he raised it to almost 40 bucks :shock:

upnover 07-01-2008 06:42 PM

Prices for some of these things range so widely from state to state that I would recommend getting out the phone book and just calling around, starting with barns. Like someone else already mentioned, there's a good chance that some of the boarding places you call include hay/grain into their prices. Plus a lot of the bigger ones may use their own farriers and can probably give you quotes on that as well. Hope this new pony works out for you!! Be sure to post lots of pics!