The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Shedding already?! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/shedding-already-108616/)

DressageIsToDance 01-07-2012 09:07 AM

Shedding already?!

I noticed when I was grooming Amber yesterday that she's already started some light shedding (but noticeable shedding) along her flank. :? It's been a really warm winter, but I'm a little concerned because her summer coat hasn't come in yet.

Could this be due to her wearing her blanket when the temperatures aren't cold enough to warrant one? I prefer to have her be "naked" if it's over 50, 55 at most, but yesterday she had her sheet on in 65 degree weather when I came out. The barn help tends to either not blanket enough when it's freezing, or will leave them sweating in layers when they don't need anything...my issue with them is a different story. I feel like I might be over-thinking this going to her being blanketed unnecessarily as a culprit.

Now, other factors are that I recently took her off the 24/7 pasture as it had done wonders for her soreness over her back and she was getting too plump. I put her on stall and started her on a handful of grain to go with the joint supplement she's on. She has been on the loading dose of the supplement, which is also for hoof and coat.

caseymyhorserocks 01-07-2012 03:48 PM

Casey is also shedding right now, maybe the horses know something that we don't! It has been a really warm winter, it is 60 degrees Fahrenheit out, the highest it gets is 65 degrees Fahrenheit in the SUMMER! We don't get any snow, we live on the coast, and we have almost gotten no rain..

waresbear 01-07-2012 03:52 PM

It's the amount of light that determined when horses shed I thought. Maybe because you moved the horse inside & the lights are on in the barn? My horses are not shedding a hair, I rode yesterday & groomed, not a long hair shed at all.

demonwolfmoon 01-07-2012 04:14 PM

No shedding here in PA either...

DressageIsToDance 01-07-2012 08:01 PM

I think it's temperature and light exposure combined. But she's in the barn at night and the lights are turned off while she's in, plus I doubt artificial light would trick her body into thinking it was sun.

She's in great condition, outside being a bit overweight right now (but I just switched her to a feed with less fat, so we're working on that), and it's definitely not due to a fungus, so I'm not too worried that there's something wrong with her, but she seems to be the only one in the barn who is already shedding so I'm just kind of at a loss for what to think!

Skyseternalangel 01-07-2012 08:04 PM

My horse is shedding a lot, he has a very full winter coat and it's been in the 60s lately. He only wears his sheet when it's very very very cold (like 30s) or below.

Iain 01-07-2012 08:26 PM

If he sheds chances are there's a reason. It could be light exposure, mild heat, or just odd weather patterns. I wouldn't worry about it too much. It could also be barn temperature :)

DressageIsToDance 01-08-2012 12:35 AM

Our barn isn't heated (though it would be nice, I must say!), however we have had some weird weather in the last couple of weeks and I didn't think about that. It was absolutely freezing for a couple of days and then it shot back up really fast - that might be my cause right there.

waresbear 01-08-2012 12:54 AM

Artificial is what's used to trick horses into coming into season or heat, so I am pretty sure it would work the same for shedding. Amount of light is what determines when the coat grows in & sheds out, the temperature is what determines the thickness. We have -10 C at night & 9 above in the daytime, those temps could be exactly the same in March when we start to get significantly more daylight, that's what starts them shedding. Where you live, could be getting more daylight.

Brighteyes 01-08-2012 12:55 AM

My horse started shedding today too! We live in central Georgia, where all year is summer. We had a cold spell (30 degrees) that lasted about two days. Today, it was in the 70s. I put a curry to her and a brush full of hair came out.