The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Question about makeing a browband for a bridle. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/question-about-makeing-browband-bridle-108630/)

EmilyJoy 01-07-2012 12:45 PM

Question about makeing a browband for a bridle.

2 Attachment(s)
Hello, I have this flat sliding ear piece bridle for my pony,
Attachment 83784
and I was wondering if any body had any DIY ideas for making a western looking brow-band? I'd like to do a braided one out of nylon rope, have a separate braid coming from either ear, then meet in the middle. something like this-Attachment 83786except I would like the brow band to be
1 made out of nylon
2 braided
3 don't want to to be super hard/fancy

The second picture is just an example of the "split" part of the browband...The browband that I would like to make wouldn't need to be like that bridle,in regards to the fancy stuff on the sides or the leather part...:-)
If anybody has any links on how to make one or they made one like this...I'm all ears!:D

EmilyJoy 01-07-2012 07:03 PM

Anyone???

bubba13 01-07-2012 11:18 PM

The problem is that a browband won't really work on a headstall designed with a single-ear. There's no throatlatch to help hold it in place.

EmilyJoy 01-08-2012 10:59 AM

I have a throat latch that I can use. I think maybe all I need to know is how to make the "loop" part that keeps the brow band on...Any ideas????

bubba13 01-08-2012 12:22 PM

If you know how to braid the nylon and all that, I'd just make it longer than you think you need, and loop the excess around, securing with a Chicago screw.

EmilyJoy 01-08-2012 10:17 PM

OK... I was just hoping someone had done this before, or had a few ideas!

NorthernMama 01-08-2012 10:41 PM

Ya, what Bubba said. Make the loop just the right size for the existing headstall plus the throatlatch you have. If too big, your browband will fall down, if too small, it won't be adjustable enough.

I've done nylon ones with ribbons on them and nylon ones with tassles for flies. Instead of screws, I sewed mine. I double the nylon, meeting the ends somewhere at least two inches away from the loops. Stitch both edges to the loops and down to reinforce the loops. Add garnishments and serve.

EmilyJoy 01-09-2012 02:57 PM

Oh, right, never thought about sewing...Duh...
I thought somehow there was a way to braid the loop back into the braid...But I think sewing would be faster...?

NorthernMama 01-09-2012 10:09 PM

Yup, 1/2 hr tops from measuring to on the horse, if you're a practiced sewer.

EmilyJoy 01-10-2012 11:17 AM

I'm thinking about making it in red, white, and blue... If it turns out fine I'll see if I can post a picture...If not, well.....:wink: