The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Need Bitting help (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/need-bitting-help-108662/)

jbolt 01-07-2012 06:52 PM

Need Bitting help

1 Attachment(s)
Hi I have trained my horse from the ground up, by myself, using a variety of useful techniques learned from Roy Yates, Clinton Anderson, and Julie Goodnight( my favorite). we have solid leg yields, he gives his eye, frames up nicely, and is very responsive in nothing but a Clinton Anderson style training halter. We are ready for the next step, which includes going for a more verticle headset (think reining headset). Any ideas as to the right bit to start with? he is broke to a bit, as in we work on flexion and giving at a lunge with an english d-ring snaffle with sidereins and a surcingle. A Myler 3 ring combination bit was recommended to me. What do you all think?

jumanji321 01-07-2012 08:42 PM

Stick with the d-ring, if he works well in it, don't switch it.

CLaPorte432 01-07-2012 08:50 PM

893 Attachment(s)
My trainer and I have always started horses in a plain snaffle. Jasper and Nut-Megg were started in a Full Cheek snaffle. I started Chilly in a hackamore and then moved her into a lightweight O ring.

They are all still light in the mouth and I still use them unless I'm showing.

2BigReds 01-07-2012 10:48 PM

Looks like a lot of hardware for one horse's mouth, if you ask me. :/ I moved my horse from a snaffle up to a junior cowhorse, only because I plan on showing him as a reiner in the future and he's too old for a snaffle to be legal to use on him in the show ring.

I WILL say that a myler bit like that (without the nose band) would probably be a good transition bit, but I don't know you or your horse so I can't say for sure. I'm no expert, but that sounds like a logical progression from a snaffle. Good luck! :-)

bubba13 01-07-2012 11:17 PM

I'm not a huge fan of the Myler combo bits. They're all right for some horses, but sure not my first pick. Why not just stay with the snaffle?

smrobs 01-08-2012 01:58 AM

Agreed, if he is currently responsive in the regular snaffle, then I see no reason to change it. Also, just putting one of those wonderhack-a-gags on a young horse can cause a lot of problems. There is so much going on and pressure in so many places, it is easy for a youngster to get completely overwhelmed.