The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Lateral work! Yay! (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/lateral-work-yay-108694/)

MoodIndigo 01-07-2012 10:13 PM

Lateral work! Yay!
 
Give me a/your definition of lateral work and list any/all lateral exercises you know!

Skyseternalangel 01-08-2012 10:46 AM

Leg yield, which my horse and I are working on. I think leg yields are the first building block. Then there's side pass, shoulder in, haunches. Those are the main ones that I know but can't do. Other than that, there are probably more, but I rather not guess as I honestly haven't a clue.

For leg yield, take an obstacle, like a barrel (a tall one) ,and practice walking at it straight, then keeping your horse's front end straight, but moving the entire horse sideways with forward energy by using a driving seat and keeping your outside leg on and directing the horse over with your inside leg. That is what is helping me and my horse with our leg yields though I have a long way to go still (and would love help!)

Kayty 01-08-2012 08:48 PM

Leg yield isn't technically a lateral movement, as there is no bend, only flexion ;)

As for lateral movements, there are many. Shoulder in and travers are probably the most well versed of the lateral movements, and most attainable to those just learning them. You then move to more complicated movements such as the half pass.

Skyseternalangel 01-08-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayty (Post 1299615)
Leg yield isn't technically a lateral movement, as there is no bend, only flexion ;)

Learned something new!

Kayty 01-08-2012 09:24 PM

You learn something new every day :)

In saying that - the leg yield is a good pre-cursor to teaching lateral movements. You are establishing a connection between the inside leg and outside rein, by asking the horse to step forward and sideways into the outside rein.

Skyseternalangel 01-08-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayty (Post 1299691)
You learn something new every day :)

In saying that - the leg yield is a good pre-cursor to teaching lateral movements. You are establishing a connection between the inside leg and outside rein, by asking the horse to step forward and sideways into the outside rein.

Yes I consider it the "building block" but my horse and I are still figuring out how to do it :-) and yes I do learn new things each day.. today I learned 4 new things haha

Valentina 01-09-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 1299759)
Yes I consider it the "building block" but my horse and I are still figuring out how to do it :-) and yes I do learn new things each day.. today I learned 4 new things haha

To do leg yield - start by teaching horse from ground. Stand on left side of horse by girth. Take left rein and "bump" horse behind girth with thumb. If horse shifts weight, pat and let it know it was correct. If horse steps to the side even better. Repeat on right side.

Once horse understands both sides and reacts promptly mount. Initially you are teaching the horse to "dis-engage" it's hindquarters. So repeat same actions from it's back. Once horse "gets this" then start walking forward. When the left hind leg comes off the ground then "bump" the left leg behind the girth while bending neck enough to see inside of left eye. Sometimes it helps to squeeze right rein at same time and push right hip forward.

Repeat and switch left/right for other directions.

That's how to teach LY to horse and how to ride it.

Skyseternalangel 01-09-2012 02:36 PM

Thank you!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Valentina (Post 1300589)
To do leg yield - start by teaching horse from ground. Stand on left side of horse by girth. Take left rein and "bump" horse behind girth with thumb. If horse shifts weight, pat and let it know it was correct. If horse steps to the side even better. Repeat on right side.

Once horse understands both sides and reacts promptly mount. Initially you are teaching the horse to "dis-engage" it's hindquarters. So repeat same actions from it's back. Once horse "gets this" then start walking forward. When the left hind leg comes off the ground then "bump" the left leg behind the girth while bending neck enough to see inside of left eye. Sometimes it helps to squeeze right rein at same time and push right hip forward.

Repeat and switch left/right for other directions.

That's how to teach LY to horse and how to ride it.

Thanks Valentina! That's really helpful :)

Klassic Superstar 01-09-2012 02:38 PM

Subbing to this, cause I am always intrested in learning more and with a young green horse it will be very helpful!

Spyder 01-09-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayty (Post 1299691)
You learn something new every day :)

In saying that - the leg yield is a good pre-cursor to teaching lateral movements. You are establishing a connection between the inside leg and outside rein, by asking the horse to step forward and sideways into the outside rein.

Thanks for using the word connect/connection.

I very much prefer to use the word connection rather than the word disengage as too many times the impression is that you are disengaging the haunch to the rest of the body.

I see this word used all the time with western riders and when I see what they are doing, they actually do disconnect the rear of the horse from the front.

To me it is like a bad word in English and will never use it.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0