The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Exercises for me? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/exercises-me-108759/)

faye 01-08-2012 04:47 PM

Exercises for me?

I had a lesson today on Reeco.
Reeco did some beautiful work in walk and trot and even had a canter on each rein in the arena (he has only ever cantered under saddle once before). He is realy comeing on beautifully and I am thoughrly enjoying having such a pleasent little pony!
My instructor is a lady who has represented GB on young rider teams in eventing and the first thing she noticed was that I was guarding my back, causeing my right heel to creep up and making me unsteady in my seat. It is why Reeco is not as good on the right rein. she also suspects that due to the nature of my injury (old injury, 2 crushed discs in my spine and sciatica in my right leg) my right leg is weaker then my left.

she has suggested some excercises to do whilst in the saddle, but I'm now after some that i can do when not on a horse to help straighten me out and strengthen that leg so that I can get the best from Reeco and show him to his true potential.

any suggestions?

annaleah 01-08-2012 04:53 PM

I don't know if your feeling up to it..but brisk walking and running have always been great at strengthening my legs for sure...hope this helps!

MangoRoX87 01-09-2012 12:06 PM

Lay on your back, and pretend your riding a bike. That in itself sounds straining. lol

Skyseternalangel 01-11-2012 03:04 AM

Any kind of stair stepping will help.. also maybe engaging in some sort of yoga or pilates where you can relax but get a nice stretch in will help as you need to be very flexible and soft/supple as a rider.

Personally I love anything with resistance bands and/or an exercise ball. I second the pedaling an imaginary bike on your back :P It is a lot of work sometimes.

Good luck

DuffyDuck 01-11-2012 03:38 AM

I have this with my left rein after breaking my shoulder in 07!

Before I ride, I take Rhux Tox about half an hour before. It helps- a lot.

As for excercises, cycling will help, squats, sit ups.
Perhaps you could talk to a physio? I'm always reluctant to offer advice, especially when you have a preivous injury... they could give you a very good indication on what and how much you should be doing.

Reeco sounds like he's coming along beautifully though!

livelovelaughride 01-16-2012 03:53 PM

I imagine this injury affects your hip as well? My experience is that disc issues can be helped by yoga, but I would proceed cautiously and with the guidance of a trainer, or other health care professional. Core mat work would probably be appropriate to support a stronger flexible neutral spine. Perhaps your hip flexors are tight? A good physio would be able to determine your weaknesses and get you on track.

mlkuhn12 01-16-2012 04:23 PM

In the gym there's lots of equipment for strengthen legs maybe pay for one session with a personal trainer so you can find what exercises and equipment would be good for you. Also in my gym they have exercise classes and the step class is a really good leg workout so maybe either find a step class or try a dvd.
Outside the gym I hike which seems to be good for strengthening legs(and it's fun :) ). Not sure if this would be good for you because of your injury, but I use the vibram five finger shoes for walking to school, hiking, zumba, fitness classes, working out pretty much for everything and since using them I definitely feel as though my legs are stronger using these shoes(lack of shoes?) and no more knee and lower back pains so yey!

faye 01-16-2012 05:07 PM

I used to do yoga. I'll look into doing it again.

i don't do gyms! i simply don't have time. I do horses at 6am in the morning (3 horses) having driven 20 mins to get there! (wake up is 5.30am) I am at work for 8am (35min commute) I finnish work at 4.30pm. I get to the horses at around 5pm, in the evening If they have been in all day I'll muck out etc, if they have been out then it is straight to riding, I ride 2 (one is retired) for at least 45 mins each. i'm lucky if I get home anytime before 8.30pm. I normaly eat at around 9pm, have a shower and then collapse into bed.

I teach at the weekends and have my own lessons. Last weekend I got a lie in! I managed to stay in bed untill 8am!!! and on sunday it was 7am!! and I got home at 8pm on sunday and 6pm on sturday! highly unusual!!

So any exercises have to fit in round a hectic day. I could probably squeeze in a yoga class at the weekends and do a 20 min yoga session before my shower in the evening.

I have dropped my stirrup on my right leg by 2 holes to make me stretch for it (Not on Reeco I hasten to add, only on lilly who is older and more established) I think it has helped. We shall see I've got a lessonat 9am on sunday morning (so that is anouther 6 am start to get there on time!)

BarrelracingArabian 01-16-2012 05:11 PM

my Physical Therapist had me using a exercise ball. Basically you put it up to your knees(shoulder width apart) and roll onto it so you are on your hands and knees on the ball keep your lower abdomen muscles tight and as you get better ballancing like that start trying to sit up so you are just using you core muscles to keep you balanced and straight. The ball will keep the strain off your knees from the floor but also makes for a great way to learn balance haha :]

QHriderKE 01-16-2012 07:06 PM

Personally, I do a lot of running, well, as much as my knee allows, and use my dad's inversion table to do upside down situps. Doing just 10 makes your abs burn. But, I am going to be getting a gym membership to strengthen my leg muscles before my ACL surgery, so I'll be doing tons of squats, lunges and other things of the sort.

Also, while riding, I might be going along la-da-da and just drop a stirrup or something, or I'll drop both and try to post with no stirrups. Bareback riding is the best exercise ever. I made my mom ride bareback for 10 minutes a day for a week and she was surprised at how much of a work out it was.