The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Law (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/)
-   -   Deceased Equine Removal? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/deceased-equine-removal-108793/)

Creampuff 01-08-2012 09:11 PM

Deceased Equine Removal?

A friend of mine and I are looking into a vacant property, with several acres and a barn, as our "starter property," with concise direction from her father (find owner --> property attorney --> so forth).

Today we went out for the address, and walked the property line (deeper than what we ever have before; which made it obvious it's a much larger property than we imagined). While on this walk we found what looked like an old burn pit, with partially-burned hay, dirt, and other things all over it. My friend pointed and said, "Is that a rib?" We pushed the hay around, and found the remains of a horse under an old tarp.

I know that there are laws regarding the disposal of dead animals. Would we need to follow these for the bones of horses long dead, as well? A third friend ("outside eyes") mentioned just burying the bones.

EDIT: To clarify; we found a lot of churned-up (partially buried) bones, skulls on the porch, and the horse under the tarp. I saw no flesh. Other bones are, literally, laying around the property.

bubba13 01-08-2012 09:33 PM

Just bones? Absolutely nothing. Except maybe gather them up and see if anyone will bite to buy them on Craiglist for art projects.

Creampuff 01-08-2012 10:56 PM

That's what I thought. Figured I would double-check.

MangoRoX87 01-11-2012 12:42 PM

Sounds freaky O.o

Allison Finch 01-11-2012 01:30 PM

Ewwwww......a pet cemetery? Sounds like a horror movie.

bubba13 01-11-2012 04:49 PM

No, that would be a pet sematary.

Daisy25 01-13-2012 05:33 PM

If you have not actually purchased the property yet - you can specify that the sellers "clean up" the bones as part of the purchase agreement.

Saddlebag 01-16-2012 08:25 PM

No one buries dead moose or deer. Why not just let the bones become part of nature? There may be many tiny insects at work.

Creampuff 01-16-2012 08:27 PM

Saddlebag,

I would at the least move them. The "burned" horse is right beside the barn. Others are scattered around the pasture, and there are skulls on the front porch that would also be moved.

zurmdahl 01-17-2012 09:53 PM

I'd be really curious as to why all those bones are lying around in the first place. But I don't think you would have to do anything special with them removal-wise, good luck finding a place!