The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Mini pony mare in foal help? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/mini-pony-mare-foal-help-108825/)

snowynkate 01-09-2012 12:57 AM

Mini pony mare in foal help?

3 Attachment(s)
hi i'm new here my mare is 310 days gest today it is hers and mine first foal her udder is tight but could probably fill more her belly dropped a week or so ago and today her vulva looks very relaxed and puffy should i be preparing for her to foal soon? thanks in advance :D
Attachment 83996

Attachment 83998

Attachment 83999

MyLittlePonies 01-09-2012 02:46 AM

First of all welcome! I would keep an eye on her especially tonight or even then next week if that because it's possible. It's been a few years since we've foaled a mare. Has her behavior changed any (no apitite, pacing,ect.)

snowynkate 01-09-2012 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyLittlePonies (Post 1300062)
First of all welcome! I would keep an eye on her especially tonight or even then next week if that because it's possible. It's been a few years since we've foaled a mare. Has her behavior changed any (no apitite, pacing,ect.)

thankyou she was acting a bit sus earlier biting her belly fidgeting ect but then nothing :-)

MyLittlePonies 01-09-2012 09:38 PM

I don't want to sound nosey but how is she doing now? Any updates?

snowynkate 01-09-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyLittlePonies (Post 1301186)
I don't want to sound nosey but how is she doing now? Any updates?

your not being nosey at all :D still no foal her udder is a bit fuller vulva still relaxed she's being super friendly which is not like her i'm starting to worry as i go away friday till tuesday to see buck brannanman clinic i don't wanna miss her foaling but my luck as soon as i leave she'll have it :-(

Roperchick 01-09-2012 10:57 PM

look for her udders to "wax over". shell get this sticky waxy stuff on them and that usually is right before a mare foals. we look for it, and once we see it we usually figure shell foal that night or the next....but not always.

MyLittlePonies 01-09-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roperchick (Post 1301313)
look for her udders to "wax over". shell get this sticky waxy stuff on them and that usually is right before a mare foals. we look for it, and once we see it we usually figure shell foal that night or the next....but not always.

Good point!

snowynkate 01-10-2012 04:44 AM

well she has no wax yet i finally seen the foal moving tonight it was going crazy just infont of her udder it was very cute . Does movement there mean anything?

Roperchick 01-10-2012 07:05 PM

it could...itl also look like her tummy dropped. itll go from being a big round belly to being really "heavy" near her hind quarters...that means the foals getting positioned for the birth canal and they usually foal within 1-2 days after that.

Ladybug2001 01-10-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roperchick (Post 1302475)
it could...itl also look like her tummy dropped. itll go from being a big round belly to being really "heavy" near her hind quarters...that means the foals getting positioned for the birth canal and they usually foal within 1-2 days after that.

I don't know a whole lot about mini's foaling, not sure how they differ from actual horses in foaling. Though I kinda laughed at your post. They usually do.. unless you have a stubborn mare like mine, whose foal is in position for two days now. :sigh: Normally mares wait until no one is around to foal, so she'll probably go when you're gone, just to inspite of you.