The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Finally test drove the trailer with the horses! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/finally-test-drove-trailer-horses-108856/)

LetAGrlShowU 01-09-2012 11:42 AM

Finally test drove the trailer with the horses!

Yep, we made it off the property, horses in tow (literally, haha).

Aidan was quite hesitant to load, even with the tips the trainer had given me, i was onyl gettign two feet on the ramp. Hubby felt abd for me, came out, tried to walk him on, and i was in the back did a quick wave of my arm and a "nch nch" and on he went, sweating like a bullet.

Next was Cooper, who quietly sniffed the trailer and up her went.

My hubby, who has trailered cars, atv's etc had never trailered livestock. I thank my stars hes much more level headed than me. I was panicing at every stop, turn and go. We took a short drive around the area and got back home, everyone in one piece.

It took twice as long to clean the trailer than it did to actually go anywhere. Thank God for pressure washers though. And thank God even more my hubby considered it a "man's job" to use it hahahha. I'm sure that'll wear off quickly!

I'm so glad we made it safely out and back home. Next step, new trailer tires and a current coggin's for Cooper!

Cacowgirl 01-09-2012 12:34 PM

It will get easier, but good to always be aware that your "babies" are back there. I've seen some people really slam the horses around. I'm a little nervous to move my horses, as it is a 5-6 hour trip w/a trailer, but once they are "home" we can all relax a lot.

kait18 01-09-2012 02:44 PM

congrats i remember when i got my trailer in august and took 2 of my horses out. i was terrified. my dad had me practicing for a weeks without animals backing up, going straight, and turning lol. when it finally came to driving them around oh lord was i a nervous reck. thankfully my dad is a very calm person and really helped me learn to do things right. :) my horses enjoyed there little road trip :) but he said clean up was my job :(

Walkamile 01-10-2012 08:40 PM

Congratulations Letagirlshowu! I remember my first time trailering my horses. Took me twice as long as it should have, but we arrived safely and the horses were fine. Phew!

While I'm still a bit nervous, it's only for the idiot drivers that will wait and then pull out in front of me! :shock:

waresbear 01-10-2012 08:44 PM

You'll get used it if you haul enough. Doesn't really take long, I have been hauling for decades but just got a brand new trailer this spring, took me twice to figure out how to back it, surprised me, I was quite good at it. You keep with it and it will be no big deal.

goneriding 01-11-2012 09:35 AM

I cannot express enough having foresight when driving. There will always be an idiot like walkamile said pulling out in front of you. I have always said that when our youth take driving lessons they should have to learn to tow some type of trailer so they can understand when they get their license what is entailed when towing.

Darrin 01-11-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goneriding (Post 1303396)
I cannot express enough having foresight when driving. There will always be an idiot like walkamile said pulling out in front of you. I have always said that when our youth take driving lessons they should have to learn to tow some type of trailer so they can understand when they get their license what is entailed when towing.

That and take a couple ride alongs with a truck driver.

newhorsemom 01-12-2012 01:08 AM

You are a huge inspiration to me! I'm still a nervous wreck driving around with an EMPTY trailer. However, I am determined to tow that horse by spring though.

Skyseternalangel 01-12-2012 02:07 AM

I haven't even tried trailering.. the idea freaks the hecklefish out of me! So good on you, missy! And congrats on the successful but short n' sweet trip round town :)

OuttatheBlue 01-12-2012 01:40 PM

Congratulations! I LOVE being able to trailer my horse, makes it so much easier than having to find someone to haul me whenever I want to go someplace other than the barn.