The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Two-point . . . which one? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/two-point-one-10886/)

FledgeOfNarnia 07-01-2008 03:53 PM

Two-point . . . which one?

I am very new to jumping . . only have done cross-rails and some 1 or 1.5 ft verticals. But I was wondering. I have seen two different types of two-point positions. (If this has already been discussed somewhere, please just say so. I didn't take the time to look.) First, there is where one's seat is totally out of the saddle, and then there's the one where the rider's seat is just adjusted forward on the saddle. Not only did my two trainers have different "two-points" but also trainers who have written books; at least, from what I've seen.

Is it just preference?? Or is there really a right one . . or just opinion?

Any help would be great. Thanks

upnover 07-01-2008 06:48 PM

The way I've always known it... a two point is the "seat out of the saddle" position. Each leg is 1 point of contact, your butt is your 3rd point of contact. So sitting is considered a 3 point and when you lift your butt out of the saddle you only have "2 points". When you just lighten your seat it's actually called a "half seat" or sometime a "light seat", but I have heard some people mistakenly call it a 2 point.

PoptartShop 07-01-2008 09:46 PM

Well, for jumps that are like a foot/a foot & a half, you don't need to be in a 'full' two-point.
Usually you can just poke your butt outta the saddle, just a little bit. Like you're mooning the person behind you, LOL! :lol: That's how my trainer describes it.

LeighXLove 07-01-2008 10:33 PM

i agree with upnover
also being out of the saddle takes the impact off the horses back when you land depending on how high your jumping...not that they can't take it buuuut it helps
plus i can imagine it looks sloppy to sit as i'm sure it would be hard to keep your back straight and legs from moving as the horse goes over the jump....

hotreddun 07-02-2008 01:09 PM

I've noticed that this is one of those you say "founder" she say "laminitis" type situations too. I noticed that in "two-point" my butt hovers over the saddle but there isn't like a huge amount of daylight between saddle and butt. Whereas "half-seat" means your kind of rolled up on your crotch...ready to go into two point kind of...like in between jumps set far apart is when I use that. Atleast thats how my trainer uses them :?

Kyani 07-02-2008 03:44 PM

upnover is right. Two-point and light seat are different. Some people will call both a two-point, but I prefer to differentiate. I've also heard people use 'half-seat', but I'm never quite sure which they are referring to, and there are probably other terms too.

It gets extra confusing when you've got people from different countries on the board. To use hotredrun's example, I've never heard anyone British use the term 'founder'; we all say 'laminitis'. And most people here don't even use the term 'two-point', but just 'jumping position' - I've started using 'two-point' all the time just because I spend a lot of time on international forums.

I would never say a light seat should be 'rolling forward onto your crotch' or anything of the sort though. No effective riding position should be described as that. Sounds like something you see in the ineffective, falsely posed HUS riders.
(and before someone goes postal, no, not all HUS riders, but there are a LOT that fit that description)

FledgeOfNarnia 07-02-2008 05:17 PM

Okay, thanks guys. :D

JumperDreams94 07-29-2008 04:57 PM

I definetely agree that there is a difference between the two. For a better descripition of light-seat, it's what it sounds like - rise in the saddle a bit, flex your heels, and have light contact with the saddle that sinks and rises with the horse's motion. Half seat is used between the jumps, which allow you to have the horse jump up to you and go into two-point over the jump.

We Control The Chaos 08-01-2008 09:28 AM

i have wondered this too. When you watch events such as the Maclay you see the riders up out of the saddle. not too much but in more of a half seat i guess. than you would see a normal rider. this always confused me.