The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Horse in Stevenage (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/horse-stevenage-108872/)

leastar 01-09-2012 02:35 PM

Horse in Stevenage

Hi there,

I am after some help - especially from anyone who lives in Stevenage, Hertfordshire.

I have noticed some horses which I think are being kept illegally in a field. The thing which concerns me is I am unsure if they are being looked after.
There is no shelter (is that okay in winter?) and I think a lack of grass as I saw the horse today reaching far over a barbed wire fence to eat some grass. I have taken the horses some carrots :oops: and could not see any food about but an empty bucket. I should mention that the horses coat looks fine if that is important.

I would be very grateful for any advice because I love horses but unfortunatley know nothing about them. Do horses get affected by the adverse weather and is there any organisation I could contact just to ensure they are being loked after.

Many thanks in advance :-)

AlexS 01-09-2012 08:10 PM

There's a lot about your questions that can't really be answered without knowing more.

Who owns the land? Have you spoken to them?

Do the horses have a tree line for shelter and what are the local laws about providing shelter?

Is there a water source for the animals?

As there is an empty feed bucket in the field, it suggests that someone is caring for them. You would not see it with food in it unless you were there while they are being fed.

Just because you don't see someone there, doesn't mean that the horses are not being cared for. I highly doubt that the neighbors of my horses field see me very often, I rarely see them.

leastar 01-10-2012 05:39 PM

Hi AlaexS and thanks for your reply.

The horses are on some public land so I cannot find out who owns them. The horses might be kept by gypsys or someone rescuing hourses so didn't want to report it and get them kicked of the land if the horses are happy there and being looked after.

The horses do have a treeline the otherside of there fence.
There is no water source.

You make a very good point re the feed buckets and they may be looked after early in morning so fair enough I never see anyone.

Is there anything I could check e.g. appearance, whether they have enough fresh grass?

Btw, I saw a picture of your horse on your profile, looks beautiful.

Thanks

Bridgertrot 01-10-2012 08:26 PM

How do you know they have no water source? Is the entire property visible? Also, as for the horses reaching over the fence for grass...have you heard the saying "the grass is greener in the other side"? I swear horses live by that and if you've ever spent ample time around horses you'll notice that even if you give them a huge lush pasture and a giant round bale they'll still try their hardest to squeeze through the fence to get that grass. ;)

If you know for sure that they are on the property illegally, you should report it. The most they'd do would seize the horses in an attempt to rehome them if there was an actual problem.
Posted via Mobile Device

AlexS 01-11-2012 12:06 AM

I don't really know of any public land that would be fenced well enough for a horse, so I can't comment on that.

As far as the water source, unless you walked my horses field, you wouldn't see their stream as it is on the far side of the field and down a hill. I'd imagine the horse has some access to water, or it would not last more than a few days.

The horses hooves and weight would be the most obvious signs of neglect. Are the ribs or back bone showing? If not, I'd imagine that the horse is being cared for, it's just happening outside of the hours that you are seeing it.

edit to add - thanks for the compliment on Lucas.

terkaflower1 06-15-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leastar (Post 1300593)
Hi there,

I am after some help - especially from anyone who lives in Stevenage, Hertfordshire.

I have noticed some horses which I think are being kept illegally in a field. The thing which concerns me is I am unsure if they are being looked after.
There is no shelter (is that okay in winter?) and I think a lack of grass as I saw the horse today reaching far over a barbed wire fence to eat some grass. I have taken the horses some carrots :oops: and could not see any food about but an empty bucket. I should mention that the horses coat looks fine if that is important.

I would be very grateful for any advice because I love horses but unfortunatley know nothing about them. Do horses get affected by the adverse weather and is there any organisation I could contact just to ensure they are being loked after.

Many thanks in advance :-)

Where is this field? If the horses are a Shetland with overgrown hoofs and a tri coloured filly then they are me ex friends. Well. They are Gypsy horses...They have been apparently Adopted by her and she wants them to move yard. They are neglected. Is this so? Btw if the field behind the fire station in Stevenage? near the John Henry Newman School?