The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   blind in one eye horse training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/blind-one-eye-horse-training-108906/)

kewilson 01-09-2012 06:27 PM

blind in one eye horse training

I have a 17 year old Missouri foxtrotter who had developed a cataract in her left eye that has left her blind on that side. She is now more anxious and fearful on the trail or in the arena. When walking, she migrates to the right. what can I do with her to build her confidence and get her back to being a steady trail horse? Thanks

kait18 01-09-2012 08:00 PM

you need to have a good trust and willingness from her. then work on her blindside to help her not get nervous.
i had to do it for my blind horse jessie who lost sight in both eyes. its alot of time and patience.
goodluck :)

bubba13 01-09-2012 08:02 PM

Is she completely or just partially blind on that side?

kewilson 01-09-2012 08:06 PM

She can still see light. On bright sunny days, she gets very agitated when facing the sun.
I would classify myself as an advanced beginner rider. I've done lessons and read a bunch, so any specific ground and seat techniques would be helpful.

bubba13 01-09-2012 08:34 PM

I have no personal experience in the matter, but I've heard it said that the horse is better off completely blind in the bad eye so that they aren't spooked by shadows they can't focus on. If you don't want to blind her surgically--which I totally understand--you might experiment with blindfolding on that side her while working with her. See if that makes her a little less anxious.

Beyond that, I'd just do the usual trusting exercising and desensitizing.

kait18 01-10-2012 09:08 AM

my vet suggested riding with a dark flymask over the eyes and covering the blind eye completely in the mask with a patch glued to the fly mask(i stitched mine in, when jessie was slowly going blind. that way ppl wont comment on what your doing with your horse and he cant see the light and be irritated. but work in a small arena with him at first with it and get him used to having no sight and working on the blind side with loud objects like anyother horse to desentize him again.
if you need help ask your vet they have some great tips for blind horses or atleast mine did so i can rely messages and ask them for you if need be:)

kewilson 01-10-2012 10:57 AM

thank you!