The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Neck Reining and showing. (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/neck-reining-showing-108950/)

Moonlight Tango 01-09-2012 11:59 PM

Neck Reining and showing.

Hello! I recently purchased a 3 year old TWH who I would like to start showing in the spring..but I have a question. My question is- what are the rules about neck reining with a young horse in a class? I bought my arab when she was 3, and the general rule with her was I was allowed to ride two handed in western classes until she was 5. I'm not sure if the same goes for all breeds or not, and getting back into gaited horses I figured it would be good to know :lol: I am beginning to work with my TWH on neck reining, and it shouldn't be a problem by spring as I am finding out VERY quickly she is an extremely intelligent horse and a quick learner, but I was just curious. I was looking at some pictures online from The Celebration, and some riders were neck reining and some were riding two handed, so I am confused.

Also, what type of headstall should I buy? I currently have one that is beautifully beaded to match my show saddle, but is a two ear headstall. Can I still use this or do I need one with a brow band?
Thanks! :-)

Guilherme 01-10-2012 09:42 AM

If you're talkng about show rules then you have to get the rule book of the organization that sanctions the show. They can vary widely from organization to organization.

If you're talking about training or regular riding then that's a separate conversation.

From your post it looks like you're most interested in show rules? Is that correct?

G.

kstinson 01-10-2012 10:24 AM

These are the rules here in Canada, not sure if they apply but they are American Club shows so they should be similar...Typically the need for neck reining at a young age depends on what kind of bit you are using, at 3 or 4 years old you can still ride with two hands if you are riding in a snaffle. If you decide to move your horse up to a shank, you need to be neck reining.

A horse that is 5 and up also should be in a snaffle, I believe that 4 yrs is the last year they allow a snaffle...although you would need to check on that.

You don't need a brow band for western and any kind of western headstall is fine, but you would for english (where you also always ride with two hands). National Bridle Shop carries the ones that are fot TWH...thiken band.

Hope this helps some...but6 I would check the rule books to be sure as it could be different for you.