The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Miniature Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/)
-   -   Thinking of getting this little guy :) (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/thinking-getting-little-guy-108959/)

sierrams1123 01-10-2012 02:10 AM

Thinking of getting this little guy :)

2 Attachment(s)
Long story short, I downsized due to the possibility of relocating a few hours away. Not knowing for sure what my near future holds as far as location, I wanted to rehome the horse/horses that I was not attached to or get anything anytime soon that I would have to transport with me. Knowing I could/can never part with my mare I did not have to add the worry of possible bored for more then one horse. So I found a new home for the gelding I had and that left my mare alone.

I have been thinking about getting something to keep her company like a goat or a cow, but just could not decide. She is very picky so I don't even know how she would respond to company. I stumbled across an ad for a mini while looking at other ads (something I do when I am bored), and thought "Duh, why not get a mini?!". So after setting my heart on a little grulla mare and then being told by the seller that someone just put a deposite on her I thought never mind. I then got a text from a friend that has a mini that her kids no longer pay mind to and would like for me to try and find him a nice home, I told her I was in the market for a mini :). She then cut his price in half and really wants me to come get him ASAP!

Anyways, I let her know I was still on the fence a little but that I would like to come out and see him and maybe take him over to meet my mare and see how she reacts before we make any deals, but he is just so darn cute I had to share. Here are two pictures of him that she sent me, let me know what you all think.

By the way he is the little bay :)

atotton 01-10-2012 10:56 AM

Cute little guy. My minis get along really well with big horses. My uncle has a mini mare that actually is the lead mare of his horse herd.

FeatheredFeet 01-10-2012 05:45 PM

Cute boy and lovely colouring. Is he still a stallion? You'll need to keep him away from your mare if he is. At least until a few weeks after gelding.

Lizzie

Endiku 01-10-2012 05:49 PM

Very cute little guy! I also secont FeatheredFeet's advice if he is a stallion. (he appears to be from the photo) I recently took charge of a little miniature stud (two and a half years old) and had him gelded about two months ago. I'm just now introducing him to mares, as from experience- they tend to really annoy mares when they try to mount them ;) we almost had one murdered by our alpha mare when he was put in too early!

DrumRunner 01-10-2012 05:52 PM

Is that Dodger?? Ansley's mini? He is really adorable and playful with people..Or he was last time I saw him. I do think he's still a stud stud though. They were going to breed him to the little grey mini they had..

The paint in the picture with him is a mare if it's the people I'm thinking it is..

PluckyPony 01-10-2012 06:02 PM

Although I know a few people who do run their big horses with their miniatures without a problem, I also know a couple who have had their companion mini severely injured/killed by their big horse. Keep in mind that a kick from an irritated, or even playful, big horse that connects to a mini's head usually doesn't have great results. I personally would not put big and little together. I'd constantly be worried.

MHFoundation Quarters 01-10-2012 06:06 PM

What a cute little booger! It sure looks like he's still a stud in that second pic.

We had a small pony (42") for my daughter and my herd was TERRIFIED of him. The first day, you should have seen the dumb mares running around snorting like fools afraid of that "thing" in the dry lot. The only one that did eventually accept him was Woodstock and they just acted like idiots together lol!

sierrams1123 01-10-2012 08:56 PM

Yes he is still a stud, I would be gelding him.
I am not very concerned seeing as my mare is 16 hands and he is a little bitty thing, he is also out with mares now and leaves them be.

Yes Amber its Dodger :) I think I am going to look at him tomorrow afternoon, maybe do a trail visit with my mare and see how she responds to him.

She is alone now so I am thinking she will be friendly enough, but I never know with her. She is not a fighter, if she dislikes another horse she will put her ears back and walk away, as long as they leave her alone she will leave them alone. I am confident all will go well but I will let you all know.

Also, all the info I know on him is that he is 5 or 6 yrs old and that he has never been breed, he was shown at some mini shows and did very well. He is very level headed and very personable. DrumRunner and I worked with some horses a few years back that were owned by Dodgers owners and that is when I first meet him, he was very sweet then just smaller and younger. I have not interacted with him since then nor do I know what he looks like right now as far as weight and feet go, but if these pictures are as recent as I think they are then I do not feel I have anything to worry about there.

FeatheredFeet 01-10-2012 08:59 PM

It is not suggested, to ever keep Minis, with large breed horses. Too many accidents can happen.

Lizzie

sierrams1123 01-10-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeatheredFeet (Post 1302586)
It is not suggested, to ever keep Minis, with large breed horses. Too many accidents can happen.

Lizzie

I have known of a lot of people who do this, WITH NO ISSUE!
Also, its pretty popular to put smaller animals with horses as pasture mates.

Not too long ago we had over 50 goats, a sheep, 3 pot belly pigs, 3 donkeys, 4 llamas, and 1 horse out in a pasture together and they all got along fine. Of course these animals belonged to my uncle who was battling cancer, during his last years my father allowed him to acquire these animals and keep them on a piece of land that my father owned (32 acres). When my uncles heath caused him to no longer care for the animals my father re homed them all. I then cleaned the property and moved my horses there.

I will say I was very sad to see one of the donkeys go, I had grown very attached to him. My uncle bought him and his mother when he was at a young age, I named him Stud Muffin :). He was super sweet, very in your pocket, he was even ridden a few times.

Although this ^^^ is not what I would call normal it goes to show that different kinds of animals can be homed together with out any problems. I do agree accidents can happen but more then usual it happens with horses/animals that visibly do not get along, that is why I plan on slowly introducing him to my mare. I would not put either one in a situation that I felt was unsafe. Thank you for you concerns but I do not think they are needed here.