The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Training basic cutting skills in a non-Western environment? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/training-basic-cutting-skills-non-western-108969/)

Saranda 01-10-2012 04:47 AM

Training basic cutting skills in a non-Western environment?

Hello, all! I've recently started thinking of what to do with my horse - a very active and intelligent 6yo gelding. His photos and constitution can be seen in my profile, if necessary. We are currently riding English and Trails with a rope halter, and will progress to a little bit of jumping, when the rains and snow will pass, but I've got an impression that he'd like doing something more challenging and active. For example, when a mare with her foal were in the arena and the mare was being lead away, but the foal wasn't following and I was asked to help (I was in the saddle), Snickers offered me some flat out cutting - purely instinctive, of course, as neither him or me had ever done that, but it was cutting, and successful - he cut the foal away from the other horses and lead it to it's mother. Since then he has offered me this repeatedly whenever I'm riding him and there is a foal or a pony nearby. So, I was starting to think - maybe there are ways how to do some cutting exercises in a country where Western riding is almost non-existent? We have a couple of Western and a couple of Endurance riders in the country, but no training, no shows, etc. No valuable information, too. And no cattle to cut, of course. Is it even possible? My guy really seemed to enjoy it. Maybe there is something similar we cold try in the very basic level, because, as I said - no trainers available?

Other things he enjoys and often trys to provoke when I'm riding him - chasing and racing smaller animals, cantering and galloping to very definite spots. Maybe there is a way I can stimulate his "hobbies" in a safe and fun way for both of us?

And please forgive me, if this question of mine is downright silly. :) I just really don't know much about Western disciplines and training.

mystykat 01-12-2012 01:06 PM

Without cattle I can't think of anything similar. Is there any mounted games in your area? Here for example there's pole bending, capture the flag, etc that is done either in English or Western.

Saranda 01-12-2012 03:31 PM

Sadly, no mounted games here at all. Basically everyone does English jumping or classical dressage. And really just a few endurance riders.
I guess I'll have to start a new movement here, if I wish for something to happen. :D Got some information, that the very basic cutting skills can be taught with the help of a friend, who is instructed to run back and forth on a straight line, imitating a cow, and maybe I'll be able to learn a thing or two with lots of Western-related reading and trial&error practice. I have my eye also on tent pegging, it doesn't involve any cattle, so I might as well try that, as I have some practice with spears from firedancing.

mystykat 01-13-2012 01:20 PM

Good luck!!

mildot 01-17-2012 03:37 PM

Try eventing.

MangoRoX87 01-18-2012 12:03 PM

Sorry mildot...just had to say this.
Every time I see your username, I think it says "mild dolt".

rob 02-14-2012 09:47 AM

saranda,look up show pro industries.they have mechanical cow devices that all of us cutting horse trainers use to get the basic's and fundamentals down pat before we put our horses on cattle.

DrumRunner 02-14-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MangoRoX87 (Post 1314065)
Sorry mildot...just had to say this.
Every time I see your username, I think it says "mild dolt".

I can't figure out what it is either... Mil dot? Or Mild ot?

iridehorses 02-14-2012 11:02 AM

Do you have goats?

Stillstandin 02-14-2012 06:20 PM

Many horses with the natural instinct to work a cow will work almost anything that moves. Your horse has shown the inclination on foals and ponies. Many will cow up on a dog.
I have a large flock of Canada geese in my pasture that I will let my cowhorses work. It has actually taught the horses how to be very precise and calm. As long as we do it right the geese don't take flight but when they do the horses give this what the heck look. We also mirror another horse and rider. One takes the lead and the other follows the moves. I do have cattle but don't always use them to work the horses.