The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   My horse has dreadlocks?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/my-horse-has-dreadlocks-10897/)

aappyfan1 07-01-2008 07:05 PM

My horse has dreadlocks??
 
Ok probably spelled that wrong but how on earth do you keep a long mane combed to fix this problem! once it is combed out his mane is kinked . He freeks about any spray or water....Really he is a real airhead!!! :lol:

FGRanch 07-01-2008 07:08 PM

Hello fellow Albertan! How are ya!

Anyways I would really work on getting him used to the spary bottle, it takes time but eventually they will get used to it and come around.

Cowboy Magic also has a tube of oil like conditioner (the name escapes me) I use it on our stallion who has the most unrully (sp) mane ever and it works great. Just pour it into your hands and rub it in.

Vidaloco 07-01-2008 07:21 PM

I've just started using VO5. the stuff in the tube that guys used to use to grease their hair back :lol: Works pretty good so far and no spray bottle.

My2Geldings 07-01-2008 08:15 PM

Re: My horse has dreadlocks??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aappyfan1
Ok probably spelled that wrong but how on earth do you keep a long mane combed to fix this problem! once it is combed out his mane is kinked . He freeks about any spray or water....Really he is a real airhead!!! :lol:

Get him used to sprays and showsheen your guy. That or depending on the length of his mane, braid it. I had a miniature horse that had a tail that would always curl on itself. I showsheened it then braided it.

Juno21 07-01-2008 11:21 PM

I used to have a horse with a really long mane and what I did was put conditioner in. Put a dime size in your hand and rub it into the snarl and comb it out little by little.

RebelsRose 07-02-2008 12:41 AM

There is an actual horse product called 'Silicone', that I am prettysure some one on here has experince using as well, My friend keeps a stocked shelf of the stuff in her barn, I think she gets it form tractor supply, but I have used it on her horses tails and manes before and I have seen her use it, when they have dreadlocks, once you put that in their mane or tail the knots and everything are GONE! It's like magic....I can get some more info on stuff like who makes it all how much is sold in a bottle and the cost tomorrow and post it...I'm telling you this stuff works wonders! It will amaze you....

Sara 07-02-2008 09:15 AM

I love Cowboy Magic as well, seriously good stuff. Though my boy doesn't have a ton of hair yet, his dam has long wavy locks that dred up at the drop of a hat. CM is what her owner uses.

My2Geldings 07-02-2008 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sara
I love Cowboy Magic as well, seriously good stuff. Though my boy doesn't have a ton of hair yet, his dam has long wavy locks that dred up at the drop of a hat. CM is what her owner uses.

Does your baby have curly mane? I just noticed a few days ago that my little guy has been growing a crazy curly mane.I haven't been able to tell if it's a breed thing tho it seems like it might be.

Yours like that?

Sara 07-02-2008 10:14 AM

He's certainly headed that way, very obvious in his forelock (which looks like an afro right now) and tail. Here is a photo of his dam with her first colt...crappy photo, but you can see she's got long heavy waves.

http://tanbarkacres.com/photos/babie...eady_to_go.jpg

My2Geldings 07-02-2008 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sara
He's certainly headed that way, very obvious in his forelock (which looks like an afro right now) and tail. Here is a photo of his dam with her first colt...crappy photo, but you can see she's got long heavy waves.

http://tanbarkacres.com/photos/babie...eady_to_go.jpg

Stunning! thanks for the quick reply by the way :) There are very few pure blood Canadians around here. The only place I'll see some is at the Stampede for the demos or Spruce Meadows at the Battle of the Breeds.
I love that mane. It is just stunning!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0