The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Teaching my horse to jump (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/teaching-my-horse-jump-109053/)

scwrl 01-10-2012 08:53 PM

Teaching my horse to jump

I know how to jump and kind of how to teach a horse to jump. i am wanting to teach my 7 year old mare to jump. she rides western but would it be hard for her just to switch saddles NOTHING else. and also any tips on teaching her how to jump

PintoTess 01-10-2012 08:54 PM

Start on trot poles and work your way up. DO NOT start high jumps until she has developed muscles need for jumping.

Good luck!

cakemom 01-10-2012 10:14 PM

Yup, and make sure you also know how to jump. A correct rider helps a horse jump, an incorrect rider hurts a jumpers back.
Posted via Mobile Device

kitten_Val 01-10-2012 10:24 PM

My best advice would be to take lessons with the experienced jumping or eventing trainer. Correct jumping includes lots of elements, and if you are serious about jumping/training, it's better to do it right from the beginning.

scwrl 01-11-2012 04:44 PM

i do know how to jump so i hope i do not hurt Milkshake's back. oh and this has nothing to do with this but i am so happy My Very First Horse 4H is tomorrow 1/12/12 Cant Wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Randella 01-11-2012 05:32 PM

Just make sure you have the experience, take it slow, and don't force her over anything huge right off the bat.

I started teaching my horse to jump last spring, and now we're jumping 4'3! :)

RunJumpRide 01-11-2012 05:56 PM

Well, I'm just kinda starting out myself, I also ride Western normally, and I have learned how to jump from a freind ( I'm assuming you're pretty young too since you're in 4H! So am I! :P! I've never met another kid on here! :P)
So here's how I started, and I did the steps until Specs got them down good (like one step per week, about) And do NOT start out jumping him with you on him, rather lunge him so he can get used to the feeling before you ride him over them. Here's the steps I did, and I got help from a friend who is a jumper...
-Lunging on 4-5 groundpoles in a row
-Lunging on 3-4 groundpoles, then a small Xrail or cavaletti after them
-Lunging Alternating groundpole, cavaletti, groundpole, cavaletti, etc.
-Lunging 2 cavalettis in a row
-Lunging 1 small vertical
...THEN you can just repeat the steps above, except undersaddle instead of on the lunge line. Your horse should be pretty used to jumping by then and it shouldn't be a problem.
It totally worked for me, except I learned to jump with him with no prior experience, and no saddle... (I didn't own an English saddle at the time, but I do now! haha!)
Also, don't jump too high for your first vertical, and even though you lunged your horse over a vertical before, he still may wayy over jump it. That's what Specs still does often. Especially if it's your first jump of the day or your horse is really high strung... :/ I learned from experience.

Hope I helped!!! :D