The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   How do you start hunter/jumping? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/how-do-you-start-hunter-jumping-109061/)

Cheyenne27 01-10-2012 10:00 PM

How do you start hunter/jumping?

Hello, I need some advice on how to start hunter/jumping.
I have been riding (western) for pretty much my whole life, in 4-H and shows. Over the years my interest in show jumping has increased rapidly and I now want to pursue a career as a grand prix show jumper. I really want to start competing in english classes like pleasure and hunter but I don't really have much experience at it. :?
I live in Canada where there is a fair amount of hunter/jumping but when you live in a part of Canada where the closest hunter/jumper competitions are 4 hours away makes it difficult. My mom and sister ride occasionally and my dad does not support our riding or my dream of show jumping, which is really depressing.

I really want to take lessons and find a coach but there aren't many stables around here. I also really want to work for a hunter/jumper stable as a stable hand/groom for a summer job, to get experience and learn, but I don't live anywhere close to a place where I could, so I would really like to find a stable where I could possibly live at for the summer and be a working student (Work at the stables in exchange for lessons and living-in costs etc.)

So I would really like some advice on what to do and how to start out and some possible places in Canada, if you know of any where they take working students or have riding programs.
I have searched all over the internet and in magazines without much luck, so help is very very appreciated! :D Thanks for reading!

kitten_Val 01-10-2012 10:12 PM

I'm a firm believer into lessons to succeed in discipline, especially to the level you are thinking about. So if you are serious, I'd start looking for the summer working student program in a respected show barn (I assume you are still in school?). Working students usually live on-site, so you don't have to commute # of hours.

Cheyenne27 01-10-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 1302907)
I'm a firm believer into lessons to succeed in discipline, especially to the level you are thinking about. So if you are serious, I'd start looking for the summer working student program in a respected show barn (I assume you are still in school?). Working students usually live on-site, so you don't have to commute # of hours.

Yeah I am hoping to take lessons somewhere, I found a place about an hour away that I am hoping to take lessons at this summer just for now. Yeah, I'm still in school so something in the summer for now. Thanks. :-)