The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Aussie Saddle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/aussie-saddle-109069/)

sterling050 01-10-2012 10:58 PM

Aussie Saddle

Need help with my Aussie Ride About Saddle slipping. Using it on my TWH...love this saddle but cannot work out the slipping issue. Girth is the waffle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you:lol:

RebeccaMI 01-10-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterling050 (Post 1302988)
Need help with my Aussie Ride About Saddle slipping. Using it on my TWH...love this saddle but cannot work out the slipping issue. Girth is the waffle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you:lol:

I've been having the same problem with my Aussie saddle. Unfortunately I've determined (with some help from other people and from the company that made the saddle) that it's too wide for my very TB-ish appendix QH gelding and that's why it's slipping. I've tried anti-slip pads and even a special fitment correction pad, but it still slips backward into an improper position. So, width of the tree could be a problem for you, too.

I've also heard that Aussie saddles often don't work with gaited horses, so that might be your problem or at least a contributing factor. Because of the way Aussie saddles are supposed to sit on the horse, they can interfere with a gaited horse being able to execute a certain gait properly.

Have you talked to the company that made the saddle, or the shop where you bought it? Any ideas there?

silverdollarmagic 01-11-2012 10:50 AM

I use a Kimberley synthetic endurance aussie on my TWH mare and it is fabulous! She seems very comfortable in it and gaits nicely.
Even though it fits her well, I had problems with it slipping when I mounted. I purchased a non slip barrel saddle pad and voila! No more slipping. At all.
Looks just like this one except the bottom is black and it is 28" x 28". That thing is wonderful! And no hair pulling or rubbing.
Ozark Leather Company Tacky Tack Non Slip Barrel Saddle Pads 11306 - Scruggsfarm.com

Good luck to you! :)

Kimmylikestojump 01-11-2012 11:30 AM

Pictures of the saddle on the horse would be helpful. If she is mutton withered, an Aussie may not be the best choice. My TWH works well in an Aussie but hes got some withers!

Joe4d 01-11-2012 05:22 PM

I ride my walker with a Kimberly superior poley. Stays where I put it on top of a tucker cool back pad. I did have the tree custom adjusted to my horse when I bought it.