The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Mud and Lost shoes! Need Advice! (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/mud-lost-shoes-need-advice-109102/)

HeartMyOTTB 01-11-2012 09:06 AM

Mud and Lost shoes! Need Advice!

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for your advice on this annoying matter!

My TB cannot keep shoes on his feet. This isn't exactly a surprise to me because I know why they keep coming off. They are getting sucked off in the mud of the pastures.

They are probably getting loose because his hoofwalls are soft from the moisture and then he steps into the mud and the goo sucks 'em right off his feet. So I know why this is happening, but here is my dilemma...

I don't want to make him stay in out of the mud in the interest of his shoes because he goes out in a small herd daily. Making him stay in alone while his 5 buddies are outside would drive him bonkers. I've had to keep him in before and it wears on him mentally making him difficult to work with. I can't remove the shoes completely because he is prone to stone bruising and even with the mud, the walk to the pastures is a gravel one and who knows what he will step on outside. He is also very ginger when shoeless and loses some confidence without the support.

So either way, I could end up with a lame horse. So what do I do? I do use a Kerotex hoof hardner (I think thats how its spelled) and he is on Smartpak Hoof Ultra. So his feet are well cared for. Just not good in the mud.

What can I do, or ask my farrier to do to keep these suckers on his feet!? Thanks so much!!!

kait18 01-11-2012 09:11 AM

i would put him in the field shoeless... it will save you money on replacing shoes and i personally think it will help strengthen his feet.

but then again i have never had a horse with a dilemma like this :( so i would suggest talking to both farrier and vet about the issue. goodluck :)

Joe4d 01-11-2012 05:34 PM

just keep him barefoot and put boots on him when you work him

loosie 01-11-2012 06:24 PM

^^ Ditto & in the meantime, do some homework & learn about hoof function & health, so you can do what's best for him. The link in my signature should help you get started.

HeartMyOTTB 01-11-2012 10:31 PM

Unfortunately, my horse can't go barefoot. Thin hoof walls, soft soles, soft feet, it just doesn't jive for him. He's trimmed regularly and on a hoof supp, so it's not to much about the "health" of his foot. I've been down that road in the past with the vet. But maybe I will do some reading. Thanks guys.
Posted via Mobile Device

MyBoyPuck 01-11-2012 10:46 PM

Keratix Hoof Gel. It could probably double as lighter fluid, but it sure does a great job of balancing moisture in a hoof. There is also a Hoof Hardener that helps strengthen the walls to keep shoes on. I had more luck with the gel. Ultimately adding a supplement to improve the hooves from the inside is the way to go. It just takes a few months to show any improvements. Use bell boots on the fronts if you aren't already. Mud doesn't normally suck off a shoe. It's more likely your horse is getting stuck while turning around and stepping his shoes off with his hind feet.

bntnail 01-11-2012 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeartMyOTTB (Post 1303370)
stuff deleted

As has been noted, I have to much time on my hands.:-P:twisted:

So we'll start here;

Quote:

They are getting sucked off in the mud of the pastures.
Shoes don't get "sucked off" in the mud.:wink:

Mud does however make it much easier for the hind feet to attempt to occupy the same space as the fronts. This is called "stepped off".

The only time there is a remote possibility of a "horse" shoe being "sucked off" is when said shoe has been applied w/ a pad.

Quote:

He is also very ginger when shoeless and loses some confidence without the support.
Quote:

I do use a Kerotex hoof hardner (I think thats how its spelled)
My suggestion would be to use Durasole, Vennice turpintine or an iodine based product(betadine,strong iodine, any percentage just not on the frogs.) I've not been happy w/ Keratex.

Feet must be dry before application of any of these products(inc. Keratex).

I would also suggest a sealer such as Hoof Shield or Tuff Stuff to reduce excess moisture. Works well w/ show and race horses that are in wash racks alot and suffer from soft/mushy feet.

Edited to add: Agree w/ pulling shoes. Use of topicals may help w/ comfort barefoot.

loosie 01-12-2012 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeartMyOTTB (Post 1304557)
Unfortunately, my horse can't go barefoot. Thin hoof walls, soft soles, soft feet, it just doesn't jive for him. He's trimmed regularly and on a hoof supp, so it's not to much about the "health" of his foot.

Hope he's shod with good pads then. I think thin walls, soft soles sounds very much about the health of his feet actually! Have you considered that if he's been shod unremittingly for a long period this could be part of the problem? Is he sore on soft footing when bare?

Kimmylikestojump 01-12-2012 12:32 AM

While I agree with ^^ this, starting from the inside out is a good place to start. Good feet come partly by genetics and partly by nutrition.

My horse had all the problems that yours does. Tweeking his diet, keeping him booted while transitioning and applying durasole has given him rock crushing bare feet.

For the record, I'm not a barefoot crazy. I think there are horses in the world that do really need shoes to be sound and comfortable.

HeartMyOTTB 01-12-2012 12:56 PM

Thank you Kimmy. My horse went barefoot for a hot minute after excessive moisture cause his hoof walls to become to soft. He just couldn't do it. He tip toed everywhere, was ginger in and out of the stall. Barefeet just did not work for him. And it works for many.

When we went through a bad stint with his feet, I did have a vet check him out, did x-rays, the whole nine and he was on FoundationII for about 9 months. The Vetriscience Foundation did really well. It took a long time, and was very expensive being FDA monitored, but it was worth the money.

@Bntnail - you quoted me up there with "Stuff deleted." Whats that? Did something get removed? Lol. Im confused! But yes! Stepped off! That is a way better way to describe whats happening! I guess I say sucked off because when it happens it makes me think of how when I walk in the pasture, I step out of my wellies with each stride. I can totally see in my head what you are describing.

Unfortunately, my TB just has typical TB crap feet. Someone said something about him being "shod unremittingly." I'm not sure what that means exactly. But I have had him for almost 5 years and he gets reset every 6 - 7 weeks in the winter, 5 -6 in the summer. If that has anything to do with the phrase.

My farrier suggested an Easy Boot. Any opinions on those? In my head, I don't see them staying on either. But I haven't done the googling on them yet.