The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Hoof Help! (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/hoof-help-109146/)

Horsecrazy4ever 01-11-2012 04:38 PM

Hoof Help!

1 Attachment(s)
This is a pic of my Shetland gelding's hoof.

He is 10hh and 10 years.

Anyhow, is this an abcess? If so, what causes it? What can I do to treat it?

Thank you:-)

Kymbadina 01-11-2012 04:41 PM

I see an overgrown foot with lots of hoofwall to be removed. Where is the suspected abscess? Is he lame on that foot?
Posted via Mobile Device

Horsecrazy4ever 01-11-2012 04:43 PM

No, he is not lame at all. Though I should mention that all four hoofs look like this!
He has that big white chunk in each hoof!

Gremmy 01-11-2012 04:58 PM

Big white chunk...do you mean the sole of his foot? Not an abscess. He needs to be seen by a farrier ASAP.

NdAppy 01-11-2012 05:40 PM

Answer is going to be exactly the same as your other thread. Get a farrier.

equiniphile 01-11-2012 05:50 PM

Are you referring to the hole in the hoof wall, on the right side? No, that's not an abscess, it's just a part that's missing. I would bet it developed because of lack of hoof care, though. Like others have said, he needs a farrier to work on his feet like yesterday.

loosie 01-11-2012 06:02 PM

Hi Horsecrazy,

As others have said, can't see anything in that unclear pic that says 'abscess' and if he's not lame, I wonder what would make you suspect it anyway?

As others have said, he is long overdue for some good hoof care. For your info - & your horse's benefit, you need to know that it's important to get a farrier to attend to their feet regularly & 4-8 weeks is the average schedule that horses need trimming. I advise you learn more about hoofcare & management. Also diet is hugely important for health & ponies especially may need to be managed carefully in this regard & not left on good pasture. Horses also generally need a dentist approximately yearly to 'float' their teeth, as they keep growing & can become sharp & imbalanced. If you need any other info on care & management of horses, just ask. There are no such thing as stupid questions, it's only the ones that are unasked & lead to neglect through ignorance that fit that bill I reckon.

AlexS 01-11-2012 11:08 PM

Your pony needs to see a farrier, and starting multiple threads about it isn't going to change that fact. His feet are in a very sad state.

Horsecrazy4ever 01-11-2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexS (Post 1304616)
Your pony needs to see a farrier, and starting multiple threads about it isn't going to change that fact. His feet are in a very sad state.

Yes, I know that he has to see a farrier...soon!

But I started another thread so I could get more tips in order to help him.

Say, what is your avatar supposed to be? I think it's interesting ;)

AlexS 01-11-2012 11:28 PM

Did you call a farrier yet?

My avatar is from Alice in Wonderland, it's the Queen of Hearts.