The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Am i the only one that feels this way???

4K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  DraftXDressage 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, i was forwarded a paragraph from www.ridingtours.com by a friend who shares my view.

On their "Horse safety" section there is a paragraph about oversized riders, that i just think isnt right and is just rude. I have so many issues with it, and i have sent them a email about it. {Awaiting a response}

Here is the article and think link if you would like to read it.

Overweight and out of shape - Riding is an athletic sport which demands good muscles and a trim body for the best results. Those who feel that it should be like sitting on a motor cycle should stick to motor cycles. A rider who is overweight cannot perform as well because he puts more stress on the same muscles if he is 20 lbs. overweight. If he falls, an injury is more likely because the greater weight puts more stress on the same bones. It goes without saying that extra lbs. make a huge difference to the horse. Look how jockeys struggle over a pound and what a little extra weight does to the speed of a race horse. Overweight people do not like to recognize the importance of weight and fitness in horse safety.

Horse Safety - Maximizing Equestrian Safety

See less See more
#2 ·
Lets have a look at this

Overweight and out of shape - Riding is an athletic sport which demands good muscles and a trim body for the best results.

Can't really argue with that, the better athlete the rider is, the better the horse can perform

Those who feel that it should be like sitting on a motor cycle should stick to motor cycles.

Probably true, there is a world of difference between a bike and a horse

A rider who is overweight cannot perform as well because he puts more stress on the same muscles if he is 20 lbs. Overweight.

Again probably quite true

If he falls, an injury is more likely because the greater weight puts more stress on the same bones.

Never sure about this one, could also argue that better padding would protect a rider, well at that point a faller.

It goes without saying that extra lbs. Make a huge difference to the horse. Look how jockeys struggle over a pound and what a little extra weight does to the speed of a race horse.

Also true, that's why they handicap racehorses by adding weight

Overweight people do not like to recognize the importance of weight and fitness in horse safety.

To be honest this is the only bit that I have an issue with.

But, I do have some sympathy with stables that rent horses and do holiday packages, the horses work hard and long, quite often the riders aren't that experienced, and putting a weight limit on is only sensible.

Before anyone shouts, remember that I am myself a BIG rider

#5 ·
I wrote in red :)

Lets have a look at this

Overweight and out of shape - Riding is an athletic sport which demands good muscles and a trim body for the best results.

Can't really argue with that, the better athlete the rider is, the better the horse can perform

I am a overweight but i ride just as good, if not better then some of the tiny girls at my barn. I just think people who see big thighs, big arms, big waist think its all 100% fat, it could be all muscle and just abigger boned person. I feel it depends on the rider and there own muscle as well as their horses insted of just a overweight rider. Plus bigger riders have a better seat lol

Those who feel that it should be like sitting on a motor cycle should stick to motor cycles.

A motor cycle seat is really tiny, if someone thinks their horses is like riding on a motorcycle then its def 100% to small. I just think they way they are saying this isnt right.

A rider who is overweight cannot perform as well because he puts more stress on the same muscles if he is 20 lbs. Overweight.

Some overweight riders are a bit more of a "Heavy rider" but i think it goes along with experience and muscle under the "extra-love" As well as skinny riders not having the muscle to perform as well.

If he falls, an injury is more likely because the greater weight puts more stress on the same bones.

Never sure about this one, could also argue that better padding would protect a rider, well at that point a faller.

I think this is completely wrong, i mean bigger riders have something to fall on..."natural padding" lol as with skinny riders, snap like a twig comes to mind. It really depends on the fall/angle and speed when falling, of the fall then the weight of the rider.

It goes without saying that extra lbs. Make a huge difference to the horse. Look how jockeys struggle over a pound and what a little extra weight does to the speed of a race horse.

If they are racing in a derby i could understand, but unless they are renting out horses to race on the tracks i dont think they should have said this part, most of their stuff is trail riding, beach riding and just easy play. The race horse riders are allowed 114 pounds i think? on a horse that could easily take much bigger rider if they were just regular riding instead of "haulin ***" you know?

Overweight people do not like to recognize the importance of weight and fitness in horse safety.

But, I do have some sympathy with stables that rent horses and do holiday packages, the horses work hard and long, quite often the riders aren't that experienced, and putting a weight limit on is only sensible.

Overweight riders take alot of care into their and other peoples horses they ride, they should know the limits of riders/horses weight. If they are ignoring their size compared to a horse they shouldnt be riding to begin with, probly arent a equestrian-ist(is that a word?) and im sure someone would/will bring it to their attention quit fast.

I do agree that stables that rent out horses to ride for a hour or week trips should def check and make sure about weight limits, but they should also have horses to accomidate a riders size...[unless they are 300 pounds +] which i havent seen anyone over 250 ride a horse, let alone any sports..

No shouting here, I am too :)

#3 ·
I dont care for the fact of it sounds like it was written by a random somebody. But we do have to face the facts that we do put our horses in a potenatlly dangerous spot- But we all know the extend of our horses as well.

So conclusion: It's not dangerous. Its only dangerous if your a novice.

#7 ·
Being a plus sized rider, I've run into this on vacations. If you explain to them that you are an active and current rider, this is usually waived unless you happen to be bigger than the equipment or horses they have available. If they only have 16" western saddles, I can do it. If I needed a 17, they wouldn't be able to accommodate me. If all they had were say...Paso Finos, I know I would feel uncomfortable riding something small and slightly built.

These types of disclaimers are written for the overweight crowd on vacation who thinks it would (and is) fun to just pull and kick and gallop along while being significantly overweight with no 'riders muscles'. At 5'8" and 225#, I am a good, balanced and dare I say light rider. A person my same size who has never ridden before would feel twice the weight to a horse.

#10 ·
Back again with my thoughts again in green.

Look, I totally understand why you are upset with the statement, but all I'm saying is that it's difficult to challenge the truth of it. :wink:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horse
Lets have a look at this

I am a overweight but I ride just as good, if not better then some of the tiny girls at my barn. I just think people who see big thighs, big arms, big waist think its all 100% fat, it could be all muscle and just abigger boned person. I feel it depends on the rider and there own muscle as well as their horses insted of just a overweight rider. Plus bigger riders have a better seat lol

But the quote says trim body and good muscles for the BEST result, and be fair to actually do well at a sport both horse and rider should be fit athletes, and they are more likely to be that if they are both near their optimum weight.

A motor cycle seat is really tiny, if someone thinks their horses is like riding on a motorcycle then its def 100% to small. I just think they way they are saying this isnt right.

May not be right, but again it's true, you try riding a bike without steering, you'll soon be in trouble, a horse will find its own way

Some overweight riders are a bit more of a "Heavy rider" but I think it goes along with experience and muscle under the "extra-love" As well as skinny riders not having the muscle to perform as well.

I have no issue that a heavier better balanced rider is easier on a horse than a small unbalanced one, but again you can probably prove that 20 pounds makes a difference in muscle performance

I think this is completely wrong, I mean bigger riders have something to fall on..."natural padding" lol as with skinny riders, snap like a twig comes to mind. It really depends on the fall/angle and speed when falling, of the fall then the weight of the rider.

If they are racing in a derby I could understand, but unless they are renting out horses to race on the tracks I dont think they should have said this part, most of their stuff is trail riding, beach riding and just easy play. The race horse riders are allowed 114 pounds I think? On a horse that could easily take much bigger rider if they were just regular riding instead of "haulin ***" you know?

But again you can't say that their statement is lying at all

Overweight riders take alot of care into their and other peoples horses they ride, they should know the limits of riders/horses weight. If they are ignoring their size compared to a horse they shouldnt be riding to begin with, probly arent a equestrian-ist(is that a word?) and I'm sure someone would/will bring it to their attention quit fast.

Not every overweight rider takes such care I'm afraid, which is what stables are guarding against

I do agree that stables that rent out horses to ride for a hour or week trips should def check and make sure about weight limits, but they should also have horses to accomidate a riders size...[unless they are 300 pounds +] which I havent seen anyone over 250 ride a horse, let alone any sports..

Then you need to come and see me ride, I'm certainly over 250 pounds, and if you look around there are a lot of 250 pound + riders out there, in all disciplines, but we choose our horses carefully and take care of them.

It comes down to economics, the cost of feeding and housing bigger horses makes them not the most economic of choices, and again not like a pleasure rider, these guys are working, doing lots of hours with many different riders.

No shouting here, I am too :)

#11 ·
I have to agree with this part though. Not just bones, joints as well.

However I don't think "plus" always = "out of shape". I also have seen "plus" riders to be very good riders with the great seat and hands with happy horse carrying them around. And those who take riding seriously (whether "plus" or not) will ALWAYS care for the horse well-being. So personally I'd say yes, the big chunk of that article sounds quite insulting.

#14 ·
I think that section was certainly not written as well as it could/should have been for sure.

But have you looked at that site? They're not talking about the 1-2 hour trail rides. These are riding holidays, most of which are 5-7 days long (the minimum seems to be 3 days). That could be why they are a bit more, errrr, emphatic about rider fitness.

#21 ·
But have you looked at that site? They're not talking about the 1-2 hour trail rides. These are riding holidays, most of which are 5-7 days long (the minimum seems to be 3 days). That could be why they are a bit more, errrr, emphatic about rider fitness.
Exactly that^. This company organizes SERIOUS riding tours, where you are riding 6-7 hours a day for sometimes two weeks at a time. Many of their trips cross some strenuous terrain and involve quite a bit of fast paced work. A rider needs to be quite fit to keep up with the group over that period of time.

#16 ·
The problem here is that most of this information is more or less true, no offense to anyone who believes otherwise. But it's just offensive to the people that it is projected to. The author or the article should have taken a little more consideration when writing it.
Posted via Mobile Device

#19 ·
Who cares what anyone says. It is how you want to feel, how you want to look and how much discipline you will have to achieve it and how much indulgence you allow yourself. Do a bit of reading, watch fitness & health show, it's all it takes. If you are comfortable in how you look & how you feel and don't care to make changes, ignore what anyone says, it's their problem, they don't live in your body. We all have to live our health, body, image choices, everyone else, get lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.