The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Boarding Conundrum! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/boarding-conundrum-109232/)

Skyseternalangel 01-12-2012 10:20 AM

Boarding Conundrum!

So as some of you know, I leave around March for New Zealand, leaving my poor horse by himself for about 1-2 years depending on a few things. I can't stay and I'm not giving up on him as I still have the money to keep him.

Anyway! My friend who takes lessons with me has offered to groom him, train him, ride him, see to him.. so long as I pay her to. Which I'm fine with.. it's just like sending him to a trainer per say.

And yesterday, I found out my board increased by $50 which sucks.

My friend has told me about this barn she works at. It's $230 versus $500 for self cleaning, which I'd pay her to do of course and they get their own private turnout or with a buddy. Her horse and my horse are already really good pals so

Anyway I gotta post this before I go to the barn. I'll talk about it more later but is this a good idea? I mean, the other option is paying the $500 and him just sitting because I can't find anyone to lease him or whatnot.

Thanks.

kait18 01-12-2012 10:38 AM

i would go with the cheaper route. if your friend agrees to take full responsibilty while your gone then its all well just get it written in a small contract stating what she will be in control of to keep from any slipups :)

plus her horse is at the cheaper facility right?? so it will make it more convienent for her to tend to your horse at the same time. :)

goodluck

Skyseternalangel 01-12-2012 04:25 PM

Yeah I talked with my friend today about it, and the owner. I really enjoy where he's at right now, and we kind of worked something out to where he can stay at his current barn. The BO told me he's going to keep the price for the current boarders the same, just the new ones will be charged more. Which makes sense, and is a lot better than having the price changed.. even cheaper or more costly IMOP.

My friend is so wonderful though, she lunged me today and is gonna hop on Sky (woo!) Saturday to test his w/t/c and she'll keep him in his riding lessons working on leg yields and whatnot.

I'm excited or all of the pieces to come together :)

Thanks kait for your input. I tend to get so badgery when things are thrown at me and really do over react. I was about to go commandeer a trailer and everything !! :P